Well, at least they don't beat around the bush - parking ticket

BCinSC

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Got a ticket yesterday in front of my own house. Guess the city is getting desperate for cash. They don't even bother to sugar coat who the payment goes to - "Revenue Collections". Time to oust some politicians!!!

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
The problem exists that the governements consider fines as a tax. When this happens due process goes out the window. In California, is someone runs a red light in your car, and a camera catches them, YOU get the ticket whether you were driving or not.

BCinSC

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Wasn't parked illegally and thus contesting it. They said it was "overtime", but there are no meters and I LIVE here. Ive parked in front of house for 6 months and suddenly I get a ticket? Perhaps it's because .5% additional sales tax was repealed a few weeks ago and the city is way overbudget? Screw that, I'm not picking up the slack for their poor planning.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
You have every right to contest it. Make sure you take a pic of where your car was parked then show it to the judge. The cop will be there in court to confirm that is where you parked.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
Originally posted by: BCinSC
Got a ticket yesterday in front of my own house. Guess the city is getting desperate for cash. They don't even bother to sugar coat who the payment goes to - "Revenue Collections". Time to oust some politicians!!!

.... You should probably rethink your political uprising here. Did you expect to send the fine payment to the mayor of the city or to the police department? When have you ever heard of the police doing monetary transactions?

Regardless of whether you live in a place or not, you are still obligated to follow parking prodcedures. You need to take a picture of the location where your car was parked, and then probably pictures of the curbside up and down the street to verify there aren't signs down the road that say no parking or anything. Additionally, you need to make sure that your pictures match the description of the area on the ticket, and possibly go to the police station and see if you can contact the ticketing officer as to why you were given the ticket. There's nothing more detrimental to trying to prove your innocence than not knowing why it was illegal and not being prepared to counter the argument.

Demon - Yes, you get a ticket, for one you shouldn't let irresponsible people drive your car, two, as the primary owner of your car, it's assumed that you are the primary driver. I think they would probably waste a lot of time if they called people up and asked them who was driving it.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
ness: until a couple years ago, it was required that they had a shot of the driver to compare with thier license. If YOU didn't do anything illegal, why should you be punished? THEY should get the ticket. You're saying that if someone borrows a knife and stabs someone, you commited murder. With traffic tickets you're guilty until proven innocent.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Is there a sign that has a time limit nearby? Sounds like they chalked your tires and you were there too long.

MangoTBG

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
ness: until a couple years ago, it was required that they had a shot of the driver to compare with thier license. If YOU didn't do anything illegal, why should you be punished? THEY should get the ticket. You're saying that if someone borrows a knife and stabs someone, you commited murder. With traffic tickets you're guilty until proven innocent.

Very good point.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Wife got a handicap parking ticket, $250.

But, she was driving my Grandmother around, who had a hangtag, and they forgot to hang it. Their bad, it sucked though.

Thought we were SOL but called PD that issued ticket, just because, said to bring hangtag and ticket down to courthouse and they'd take care of it for us. Turned out it involved a bit more than that, Hangtag, copy of hangtag registration, vehicle registration, licenses for both her and my grandmother, but, they did take care of it... well, 99% sure, still has to get a judge to bless it.

Anyway, I had to do some legwork to straighten it out, but, it's not all about revenue. They very well could have said tough luck, pay it if that was the case.

Toasthead

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
The problem exists that the governements consider fines as a tax. When this happens due process goes out the window. In California, is someone runs a red light in your car, and a camera catches them, YOU get the ticket whether you were driving or not.

True, but they give you the opportunity to ID the person driving and then THEY get the ticket!

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002

Cars and knives are a whole different story.

If someone gets into a wreck with your car, does their insurance cover it, or does yours?
If your car is parked on a hill, and you are inside a store, it rolls down the hill and hits another car, who is at fault?
My point is, It doesn't matter who is driving a car because the owner bears the responsibility of it's actions regardless of who is behind the wheel. If someone else is driving it, it is up to them to prove that they are in no way responsible. And yes, handing them the keys and saying you can drive my car makes you responsible, otherwise you should report the car stolen which will prevent you from any liability.

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
Originally posted by: BCinSC

Is it possible that you parked at a meter earlier, then got ticketed. Then you didn't notice the ticket on the windshield, then drove home.

I've seen people drive with leaflets and tickets on their windshield. (fyi: I've worked as a meter maid)

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
ness:
Last I checked, if I get in a wreck with someone else's car, my insurance pays for it. And your parked car analogy doesn't work because you were operating it. The "You were at fault because you trusted someone, not them." mentality is something that just pisses me off.

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
los angeles just uses tickets like a tax. the only reason they have street cleaning here is so they can ticket people--sometimes they dont even clean the street. many places (city of manhatten beach) will ticket you on sunday and some parking enforcers are known to give tickets if you have a few minutes left in anticipation of you not getting there in time. it's a car tax, plain and simple.

Nov 5, 2001
ness:
Last I checked, if I get in a wreck with someone else's car, my insurance pays for it. And your parked car analogy doesn't work because you were operating it.
Not true.....my girlfriend drove my truck at a campsite and backed it into a tree. My insurance had to pay for it as her's covered her in her vehicle only if the vehicle was otherwise insured...

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
ness:
Last I checked, if I get in a wreck with someone else's car, my insurance pays for it. And your parked car analogy doesn't work because you were operating it. The "You were at fault because you trusted someone, not them." mentality is something that just pisses me off.

I think you should review your policy and state laws.

Your insurance covers a single car operated by a certain driver, if there are any more cars/drivers, they need to be added accordingly. If someone is in a wreck in your car, your insurance company pays (or they can refuse to pay because it was someone else, but you are still liable.)

Just because something pisses you off doesn't mean it gets you off the hook from the fine print of insurance policies and laws.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
I'm not saying that I'm legally right, I'm saying the laws are f'ed up.

I know, and I'm saying they aren't, because it places the responsibility where it should be. Running red lights leads to accidents, and if the owner is a moron to trust anyone with their car, unless they know for a fact they are a flawless, law-biding driver.

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: ness1469
I'm not saying that I'm legally right, I'm saying the laws are f'ed up.

I know, and I'm saying they aren't, because it places the responsibility where it should be. Running red lights leads to accidents, and if the owner is a moron to trust anyone with their car, unless they know for a fact they are a flawless, law-biding driver.

exactly. in new york people are complaingin about bloomberg and his "ticket blitz" its total bs, if ya dont do stupid things, ur not getting ticketed. there was this pregnant lady that was sitting on these steps at a subway station and she got a ticket. people thought it was a stupid ticket, but ya know what? people who sit on stairs are a friggin hazard, and she totally deserved a ticket. these rules and regulations are in place for a reason.