Well 30% of democrats think they can communicate with the dead

dammitgibs

Jan 31, 2009
http://pewforum.org/Other-Beliefs-and-Practices/Many-Americans-Mix-Multiple-Faiths.aspx#4

image009.gif

Forget about 1 in 5 think Obama is muslim, I think it's safe to say a good quarter of any population sample is fucking nuts.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Let's face it. Most Americans believe in at least some supernatural nonsense. Some believe in astrology (31% of Dems), some in zombies (Christians), getting poontang when you die in Allah's grace (Muslims), and I hear some believe in magic underpants.

It's sad, but the more we discuss the absurdities of other religions, the more people will come to see that there own is that different. There is hope.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The balance is reversed if you ask about ritual cannibalism, 2000-year old zombies or imaginary sky people.

As you say, a quarter of any sample holds some nutty ideas as being true.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I dunno...is communicating with the dead any worse than believing the stars guide your life?
Ronnie Raygun wasn't allowed to make a move before Nancy consulted her astrologer...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yeh, but they didn't ask how many believe in the divinity of Jebsu...

Which is no less preposterous than any of the rest of it...

Sclamoz

Sep 9, 2009
....huh?

whats the "evil eye'?

The evil eye is a look that is superstitiously believed by many cultures to be able to cause injury or bad luck for the person at whom it is directed for reasons of envy or dislike. The term also refers to the power attributed to certain persons of inflicting injury or bad luck by such an envious or ill-wishing look.

The "evil eye" is also known as "Mal de ojo."[1] Mediterranean cultures and many others around the world believe in the concept of the "evil eye." Symptoms may include diarrhea, constant crying, and, in some cases, even death. It usually affects infants and children, however, adult females can also be affected.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_eye

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Well they do seem to be able to mobilize the dead on election day so maybe there is something to this after all.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
1. Wrong image:

image011.gif

2. I wonder what the balance would be if they asked whether people believed in the communion of saints? That's communicating with the dead, after all.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
Sep 29, 2004
Rincarnation as defined by the OP - people that think they can communicate with the dead

I also do not see how this should be shcoking. Republicans are all right wing morons (sarcasm to an extent). Point being, they are more commonly catholic relaticve to democrats. And Reincarnation is not part of being catholic. So, wouldn't it make sense that the dems who are less catholic living more often beleive in reincarnation?

EDIT: Saw ken_2s post. OP, fix your post!

Last edited:

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Yoga? I wasn't aware that stretching was a religion. Their leader must be really flexible.

stretching.jpg

My mom does yoga now that she's getting older. She claims it works great. Flexibility is a lot better. Muscles don't get sore as easily. Overall that's a great religion to have. Always remember to stretch before doing strenuous physical activity.

Here are some conclusions I can draw from this table:
-Women believe more stupid shit
-Hispanics believe more stupid shit
-Young people are more retarded than old people
-People enjoy stretching more as they get more educated
-High school dropouts are profoundly retarded (22% evil eye)
-Democrats enjoy stretching more than republicans
-Democrats and liberals are dumber

If you meet a hispanic woman between the ages of 18 and 29 who claims she dropped out of high school, run as hard as you can. She'll get you with her evil eye!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If you're talking about dixiecrats they haven't existed since Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Republican strategy captured that crowd.

I'm talking about the Democrat voters who elected Democrat majorities to states such as Alabama. What, did you think they did not exist down here?

Anyways my point is to question, with curiosity, whether regional differences played a role in certain beliefs. It's not as simple as saying 30% of Democrats believe one thing or another. It may be as high as 80-90% in some regions and as low as 5-10% in others.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
people who care more about muslims than americans quite often are either muslim or have sympathy for muslims. How is such a person suppose to defend americans?