Welfare...

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
What should be done to it? I think it's a good program for certain people, but is there a way to prevent people from abusing it?

(okay I made a post in the wrong forum again, but didn't want it to go to waste so here it is)

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Welfare is definitely a political issue.

Stop the abuse? End welfare completely.

There are time limits and some more stringent requirements to mantain your presence on the rolls. Additional educational and specific field based training have greatly reduced reliance, as have efforts made with businesses to hire more people off of welfare than histroically has been the case.

Take a look at what someone, a single mother of 2 kids, gets each month. Hardly a life of luxury.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I am more concern with corporate welfare. How much money are the airlines going to get because they are on hard times?

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Nothing, the GOP controls the money right now in washington, and they are against govt. intervention in business, especially bailing them out financially. Yes I know Bush just asked for billions for them, you were not supposed to bring that up.....

kinda funny the only successfull business Bush ever ran was subsidized by taxpayers in large part.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
1 year limit on it, forced sterilization of breeders...government programs in which welfare recipients will be picked up and made to do manual labor when their is need for it...ie sanitation, ditch digging, landscaping. It will be their civic duty since they are on the dole. Station undercover cops in public housing and shoot all drug dealers(Have the welfare recipients carry their bodies, dig a hole and bury him of course)..basically make being on welfare as miserably as possibly so that people on it will get off their lazy asses and get a job.

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
I am more concern with corporate welfare. How much money are the airlines going to get because they are on hard times?

I don't know much about this, but I would assume that if they don't get the money, there will be a lot of laid-off employees running around on welfare.

Windi

Jun 19, 2000
Nitemare:
WTF? You can't be serious.
Forced Sterilization?
Shooting drug dealers?
I really hope you're not serious.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Windi
Nitemare:
WTF? You can't be serious.
Forced Sterilization?
Shooting drug dealers?
I really hope you're not serious.

What good do they do to society?

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ConclamoLudus

I don't know much about this, but I would assume that if they don't get the money, there will be a lot of laid-off employees running around on welfare.

And a bunch of poor CEOs getting more money. These worthless business "leaders" bury the company and then start crying. Boohoo.

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Thera
Originally posted by: ConclamoLudus

And a bunch of poor CEOs getting more money. These worthless business "leaders" bury the company and then start crying. Boohoo.

That sucks.:| I don't mind company's getting bail money if its really going to hurt an industry and the economy, but these guys that run them have to put it to good use.

Windi

Jun 19, 2000
That's not they point.

You seem to think that welfare receivers are 2nd-class citizens.

I'm sorry, but I can't treat that seriously.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Windi
That's not they point.

You seem to think that welfare receivers are 2nd-class citizens.

I'm sorry, but I can't treat that seriously.

You pay for them not work then I'm tired of paying for it

Windi

Jun 19, 2000
That's not the point.

The way you suggested it, you'd be treating them like some sort of sub-humans.

We all know how well that turned out.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Nitmare the day may come when you might need a handout
Since 1/3 of all people end up on some type of long term disability, just cause you work today, a car crash may end it tommorrow and MOST LT disability plans aren't as complete as you may think. My wife was the benfits administrator for a large hotel chain and you probably aren't covered as you would hope.
So your lack of compassion today hopefully doesn't bite you in the arse along the way.
YES there are abusers, but surely the weathiest nation on earth can take care of its own citizens right?

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: desy
Nitmare the day may come when you might need a handout
Since 1/3 of all people end up on some type of long term disability, just cause you work today, a car crash may end it tommorrow and MOST LT disability plans aren't as complete as you may think. My wife was the benfits administrator for a large hotel chain and you probably aren't covered as you would hope.
So your lack of compassion today hopefully doesn't bite you in the arse along the way.
YES there are abusers, but surely the weathiest nation on earth can take care of its own citizens right?

Fine, make them take random drug tests, if they can't pass then they can never get welfare. Audit doctors that give out disability slips. Enforce the policy that you must be job looking. stop classifying being pregnant as pursueing employment. Create jobs for the people with disabilities... Let's be honest half of all government jobs can probably be performed by people with disabilities. Make them work for the "hand out". Of the people that I have seen and known who have been on welfare, less than 10% of them I would classify as disabled. Most of them were just lazy slugs who did not want to work.

If you are so wealthy, why don't you send me a check so I don't have to work?

I would rather do without then ever have to accept welfare

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Never said the system couldn't be improved, your blanket statement drew criticism THEN you actually came up with something constructive.
IMO societies should be judged as to how you treat the least amongst you.
Poverty could be wiped out with one months of military spending. So we wouldn't have to ask more from you less poverty, less crime, less policing needed
It simply a matter of priorities.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: desy
Never said the system couldn't be improved, your blanket statement drew criticism THEN you actually came up with something constructive.
IMO societies should be judged as to how you treat the least amongst you.
Poverty could be wiped out with one months of military spending. So we wouldn't have to ask more from you less poverty, less crime, less policing needed
It simply a matter of priorities.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Lao Tzu

I'd rather pay the military because unlike the large majority of welfare recipients they actually do contribute to society. You can also argue that with the humanitarian aid that we give overseas, if we were to spend that on our own homelessness would be wiped out in the US. If we only taxed the rich 60% than 80% of us would never have to pay income taxes....Bottom line is that the rich, upper and middle class pay for the running of this fine country so that people who choose not to work do not have to(This is what I would like to see changed. A flat tax rate regardless of income for starters)

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
The issue is in a society of hundreds of millions there will always be displaced , deposessed people. Most of them mental cases which as I posted in the other thread are MOST of the homeless people, people on welfare aren't much better. The %'s of people who truely need help are much greater than those who aren't. I think people focus too much on the pitfalls and not enough on the actual benefit. In a cost benefit analysis its worth having , can it be improved, of course.
Teaching somebody to be self dependant doesn't work any more for modern societies because we have become to interdependant on one another.
He learns to fish but somedoy has to get the bait for him, somebody else has to make the tackle, then somebody else to cook and prepare the meal.
Without our power grid, communications and transportation infastructures this society would come tumbling down.

I'm for a flat tax no argument here, as long its the ONLY tax ,no sales taxes, property taxes, all those other taxing authorities , loop holes for buisiness and so forth it would be fine. You will never get those who have been given taxing powers to give them up now though.