Welcome to the Tenth Dimension

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
I think their explanation of the 7th dimension is way off but everything else seems sound.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
well for starters a big :confused:

ok beyond that.......what does this explanation really enable us to do? I'm not sureI can percieve my suroundings any differently now that I've seen that?? Am i supposed to?

In summary: I don't get it.

Eska

Banned
Nov 13, 2006
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim

ok beyond that.......what does this explanation really enable us to do?

Well as far as I'm aware, many mathematicians and physicists are using multiple dimensions in their calculations in their theories to make the theory itself work out at the end. So, they are trying to help people understand what those dimensions that are beyond our reach.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim

ok beyond that.......what does this explanation really enable us to do? I'm not sureI can percieve my suroundings any differently now that I've seen that?? Am i supposed to?

In summary: I don't get it.

You're not supposed to be able to visualise it really, and this isn't how mathematicians and scientists think of multiple dimensions. Extra dimensions are required by Superstringstring/M theory because mathematicians found that the only way the strings could account for all of the particles in our universe with the correct mass, charge etc. was to allow them to vibrate in 10 (or 11) dimensions rather than the 4 we are used to. This flash was basically created so that people who objected to extra dimensions could see how they could exist, but in reality (or theory rather) they really are nothing more than extra spacial dimensions just like the 3 we are familiar with, only curled up into tiny calabi yau manifolds.

That is a cool (if not overly reposted) flash animation but it doesn't go far to explaining just what the extra dimensions are for and does nothing to explain why they are undetectable to us or what shape they are.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: kendo26
my brain hurts:(

My brain did hurt, but I warped the 5th dimension to jump in the 4th dimension to a point when my head didnt hurt, then warped the 7th dimension to jump to a point where I had a cup of coffee.

Now I'm happily sitting here back in my dimension with no headache and a cup of coffee.

Dimensional jumping FTW.

Eska

Banned
Nov 13, 2006
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Originally posted by: kendo26
my brain hurts:(

My brain did hurt, but I warped the 5th dimension to jump in the 4th dimension to a point when my head didnt hurt, then warped the 7th dimension to jump to a point where I had a cup of coffee.

Now I'm happily sitting here back in my dimension with no headache and a cup of coffee.

Dimensional jumping FTW.

i think the dimensional jumping may also refer to time traveling...

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
For the last time, this site is a crock of BULLCRAP :p There is only one dimension of time, the rest of the known dimensions are spatial (the number of spatial dimensions just depends on whichever theory you support the most)

Eska

Banned
Nov 13, 2006
Originally posted by: Eeezee
For the last time, this site is a crock of BULLCRAP :p There is only one dimension of time, the rest of the known dimensions are spatial (the number of spatial dimensions just depends on whichever theory you support the most)

There could be many non-spatial dimensions... I'm no physicists but I believe that there are many phenomenas that lead many people to believe so..

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Eska
Originally posted by: Eeezee

There could be many non-spatial dimensions... I'm no physicists but I believe that there are many phenomenas that lead many people to believe so..

Ok, the really important question is, how do I use this to do magic?