Welcome to Faxon and Norm

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
glad to be here guys. having a little bit of trouble with the BOINC client, is there an easy way to set it so that SETI gets all of my CPU time while milkyway only runs GPU work units? i couldnt care less about my milkyway cpu work units since my 5870s are obliterating them no problem (just passed dajeepster as highest RAC on the team :D), but as it is now milkyway is still getting 50% of my cpu timeshare as well. running BOINC version 6.10.18 if that helps

Last edited:

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Welcome!

Faxon, in your milkyway preferences, there's lines for running CPU, ATI GPU, and NVIDIA GPU. Just say no to CPU and yes to the others. There should be something similar in SETI preferences; just reverse your settings there.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Wecome to the TeAm! :)

Please remember, I am the addicted addiction psychiatrist! ;)

So we come to you when we are addicted? Or when are aren't addicted? Or addicted and not producing stats? Or not doing the stats?

Oiy. I'm confused, and need a psychiatrist. LOL.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
Welcome!

Faxon, in your milkyway preferences, there's lines for running CPU, ATI GPU, and NVIDIA GPU. Just say no to CPU and yes to the others. There should be something similar in SETI preferences; just reverse your settings there.
wow no wonder i didnt find it, i was looking in the software GUI for those options LMAO. would never have found that if you didnt show me :). also, looks like i can use this spare 8800GT i have lying around for seti if i want to. how long does it take to complete a work unit on an 8800GT vs a core 2 quad? the 8800GT i have is also single slot, should i be worried about it overheating if i leave it going like that 24/7 with a bunch of 120mm fans (enermax magmas, in a 690 II advanced)? i could just get an Accelero S1 if i really need to

Last edited:

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
wow no wonder i didnt find it, i was looking in the software GUI for those options LMAO. would never have found that if you didnt show me :). also, looks like i can use this spare 8800GT i have lying around for seti if i want to. how long does it take to complete a work unit on an 8800GT vs a core 2 quad? the 8800GT i have is also single slot, should i be worried about it overheating if i leave it going like that 24/7 with a bunch of 120mm fans (enermax magmas, in a 690 II advanced)? i could just get an Accelero S1 if i really need to

crank your fans up on your gpus... for the ati cards, i just use the catalyst control.. but for the nVidia cards, i use RivaTuner.

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
it looks like an 8800GT does a wu in about 25 min. or 4-5 wu every 2 hours.
My q6600 @ 3Ghz. does 4 wu in about 2 hours.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
faxon
Nice o/c on the QX9650 :cool:, I'm jealous ;). What cooling & temps do you have?
Btw how come your RAM is so underclocked?

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I would guess the next ratio's too high for his RAM?

That's the problem I had with the 417MHz FSB setting, although my RAM was only underclocked by 20MHz so I didn't worry about it. I only downclocked intially because the CPU was getting too hot. Ironically I may end up with a slightly faster setup ;).