'Welcome home,' Obama tells troops from Iraq

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
What Democracy,

women had more freedom under Sadaam
http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2010/03/12-3

worse if you are gay
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/world/middleeast/08gay.html

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_774.html

Hell of a way to spread democracy by turning the clock backwards, turning women into second class citizens, force gays back in the closet while here we hypocritically push for gay marriage.

Iraq was an abysmal failure, except for the few that became filthy rich especially the haliburton types, trillions of tax dollars wasted that could have reinvigorated the economy and shore up infrastructure or at the very least paid off debt.
As Outhouse says, this is Islam, not democracy. (And I doubt that those women raped in government rape houses, or whose sons and/or husbands were murdered by Saddam, or whose villages were gassed by Saddam, or whose livelihoods were destroyed by Saddam, would deny that they are now better off.)

Self-determination is a basic human right, but there is no obligation that they satisfy our definition of correct behavior. If there was such an obligation, they wouldn't be free. Islam is a blight, no doubt, but they still deserve their chance to build a society and in the end, they will answer to G-d for their actions. Whether that is a god of death, duplicity and murder or a god of love and justice is a matter of faith, beyond our determination.

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
I bet those 4,000 troops don't think it is over.

Do the US soldiers stationed today in Germany think World War 2 is over? I mean, they MUST be still activily looking for Nazi bases in the German country side, since there are US military personnel there, right?

It's been maybe 2 days since they declared the war is over in Iraq.

The US will still have a presence in Iraq, many years from now. However, the US military will not stick it's ass out in the wind when there is trouble.

It's all up to the Iraqis. Patrols, dealing with terrorists, making ice cream cones - it's all on them.

Slufa111

Oct 13, 2002
I watched the speech and all i can say is ITS ABOUT FUCKING TIME! 9 years is 9 years too god damn long.

Also
The Army really needs to ban the HUAHHHAAAAA shit. jesus you hear that and they sound like a bunch of pussies not warriors, and when you have a few hundred sounding off with that shit they sound like a group of retards saying HUHHHHHH??????

First of all its HOOAH.

Let me clear something up,

Hooah can mean:

Fuck you
Roger
I am tracking what I gotta do
I dont care
I just want to go home
Why did you wake me up for this crap?
I dont like you
Fuck yeah!
We know we are better than you
Try and do what we do
I am not listening
etc etc etc..

So have some respect and mind your own business...why don't you get rid of your snippy little attitude because honestly, the only one sounding like a "pussy" is you.

Slufa111

Oct 13, 2002
Do the US soldiers stationed today in Germany think World War 2 is over? I mean, they MUST be still activily looking for Nazi bases in the German country side, since there are US military personnel there, right?

It's been maybe 2 days since they declared the war is over in Iraq.

The US will still have a presence in Iraq, many years from now. However, the US military will not stick it's ass out in the wind when there is trouble.

It's all up to the Iraqis. Patrols, dealing with terrorists, making ice cream cones - it's all on them.

The problem with this statement is about 66 years. Military combat tactics were different, politics were different, economy was different, the enemy technology was different. etc.

Do I personally think we will have an ongoing presence in Iraq? No. Why? Because the way the enemy operates is beyond what we are able to control compared to back in World War II.

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
The problem with this statement is about 66 years. Military combat tactics were different, politics were different, economy was different, the enemy technology was different. etc.

Do I personally think we will have an ongoing presence in Iraq? No. Why? Because the way the enemy operates is beyond what we are able to control compared to back in World War II.

Thumbs up all the way if an American soldier never sets foot on Middle Eastern dirt.

My armchair opinion is frankly just that, and I hope I am wrong.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

The US will still have a presence in Iraq, many years from now.

You want the US to occupy Iraq for 100 years?????

(note, if you missed it, that is a dem talking point used against McCain when he said the same thing you just said)

EDIT: My personal view is we should stay as long as the host country wants us to stay. In Japan and Germany, we are still there. In Iraq, we should leave...and all of them should leave.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
First of all its HOOAH.

Hooah can mean:

Fuck you
Roger
I dont care
I just want to go home
I dont like you
Fuck yeah!
Try and do what we do
I am not listening
etc etc etc..

So have some respect and mind your own business...why don't you get rid of your snippy little attitude because honestly, the only one sounding like a "pussy" is you.

i guess brainwashing does still work, because the meaning of HOOAH is "heard, understood, acknowledged"

dude a gaggle of soldiers saying HUAHHHHHHHaaaa sounds so fucking pussified/retarded especially when said troops raise the trailing haaaa up an octave like a bunch of little choir boys.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
And how!

They went as far as renaming French Fries as Freedom Fries, because France wasn't supportive of our invasion of Iraq!

Fries dude. FRIES.

Some of these "good'ole boys" were so God damn blind with pride and drunk with the prospect of contractor money they even swept over the name of french fries.

Really, fries!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_fries
Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

If someone has to resort to patriotism to sell you something, you know it's BS.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
'Welcome home,' Obama tells troops from Iraq

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/14/politics/obama-iraq-troops/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Are we done yet?

Yes, it was not in the time frame you expected this to be over with. But, do you feel we are done?

Looks like it is really over

Obama ends War in Iraq that Bush started

P&N was started because of Iraq War.
So many threads were started by both the radicals on the right and left on the war that the Mods felt there was no choice but to start a new forum area.

Glad to see that the Messiah Obama fulfilled his promise to end Bush's false war for oil that cost America so much.

Thanks to all Military especially those lost.

Welcome home to each and every one whether they support the war or not they do their duty to the country they love.

12-17-2011

Last U.S. troops leave Iraq, ending war

For U.S. President Barack Obama, the military pullout is the fulfillment of an election promise to bring troops home from a conflict inherited from his predecessor, the most unpopular war since Vietnam and one that tainted America's standing worldwide.

The last convoy of U.S. soldiers pulled out of Iraq on Sunday, ending nearly nine years of war that cost almost 4,500 American and tens of thousands of Iraqi lives and left a country grappling with political uncertainty.

The war launched in March 2003 with missiles striking Baghdad to oust President Saddam Hussein closes with a fragile democracy still facing insurgents, sectarian tensions and the challenge of defining its place in an Arab region in turmoil.

The final column of around 100 mostly U.S. military MRAP armored vehicles carrying 500 U.S. troops trundled across the southern Iraq desert from their last base through the night and daybreak along an empty highway to the Kuwaiti border.

Honking their horns, the last batch of around 25 American military trucks and tractor trailers carrying Bradley fighting vehicles crossed the border early Sunday morning, their crews waving at fellow troops along the route.

At the height of the war, more than 170,000 U.S. troops were in Iraq at more than 500 bases. By Saturday, there were fewer than 3,000 troops, and one base - Contingency Operating Base Adder, 300 km (185 miles) south of Baghdad.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
First of all its HOOAH.

Hooah can mean:

Fuck you
Roger
I dont care
I just want to go home
I dont like you
Fuck yeah!
Try and do what we do
I am not listening
etc etc etc..

Hooah :thumbsup:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Yawn.

I think it is funny how he has taken longer than the BOOOSH time table and he is acting like he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Looks like it is really over

Obama ends War in Iraq that Bush started

Uh, you two DO know Obama had nothing to do with the troop withdrawal from Iraq....right? It was neither shortened nor lengthened...they came home according to Bush's guidelines and withdrawal policy.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Me stating what is occuring != what I want.

Observations of reality are just that.

You did not post statements, you posted questions. You posted one statement. I agree with the statement.

I was simply replying to your inflammatory questions with an inflammatory question of my own. I figured you wanted that sort of reply since that was how you posted.