Welcome all new TeAm AnandTech members ...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Yeah, doing it from the "adminisrative tools" works well. Sorry about the lost crunching result ...

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Shoobie
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
Shoobie
lol about car info replacing PC info.
Well I'm a mechanic who knows a fair bit about PCs ,so where does that leave your theory?;) heheh

Heheh, I guess that my brain doesn't have the capacity for both, so it it was one or the other. :p

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone!
lol ,well you've probably got far better short memory than me;)

Petrus
I don't know ,but times are different now compared to the 02 recruiting drive ,their are far more projects now which will inevitably spread any new members around.
I think when the new telescopes come online that will hotten SETI up;)

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Well now that I know how to stop the service, I have another problem. All of the WU seems to be corrupted! It folds for a bit then the file just corrupted I think. I deleted F@H and will run it again. If the WUs get corrupted again? Is there a specific reason why? I followed the setup guide for F@H correctly. There's no point in running F@H if I can't finish one WU in one week because of the file corruption.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
Are there any dial-up friendly DC projects?
Don't forget Seventeen or Bust. Possibly even more dial-up friendly than DPAD.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: geokilla
Well now that I know how to stop the service, I have another problem. All of the WU seems to be corrupted! It folds for a bit then the file just corrupted I think. I deleted F@H and will run it again. If the WUs get corrupted again? Is there a specific reason why?.

An unstable overclock ,though with your 3800 at just a 100MHz o/c I doubt it.
Have you done a 24hr Prime95 stabilty test?

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Good to be helping out guys. I've just finished my first few WU.

Was wondering if they are based on Video card or CPU speeds?

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Actually, I'm at stock speeds and the CPU undervolted. It passed 16+ hours of Orthos. I used small FTTs and not Blend. I know the RAM is fine.

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by: TruePaige
Good to be helping out guys. I've just finished my first few WU.

Was wondering if they are based on Video card or CPU speeds?

CPU speed only. Only the Folding@Home project can use certain ATI cards for processing.

Amaroque

Platinum Member
Jan 2, 2005
Well now that I know how to stop the service, I have another problem. All of the WU seems to be corrupted! It folds for a bit then the file just corrupted I think. I deleted F@H and will run it again. If the WUs get corrupted again? Is there a specific reason why? I followed the setup guide for F@H correctly. There's no point in running F@H if I can't finish one WU in one week because of the file corruption.

I don't know much about F@H myself (only DPAD rite now). However, you can just start a thread, and many people will be glad to help you out! ;)

Edit: Maybe try running the CPU at stock voltage, and see if that remedies the problem. Different programs stress the computer in very different ways (especially DC programs).

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Actually, I'm at stock speeds and the CPU undervolted. It passed 16+ hours of Orthos. I used small FTTs and not Blend. I know the RAM is fine.

I'm not familiar with Orthos ,but if it were prime95 I'd say 16hrs isn't long enough ,it needs to be 24hrs.Don't know about Orthos ,what does the writer recommend? ,also does it give an error messege if an incorrect calculation is done?

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Here is the next update on our recruitment drive:

These crunchers joined the following projects since March 18:

From the DPAD-stats:
[TA]Memnoch
[TA]Darkone
[TA]Captain Howdy
[TA]MxChris
[TA]Darwin333
[TA]Sphexi
[TA]Geldor1
[TA]Ausm
[TA]null pointer us
[TA]nefariouscaine
[TA]GVRugby
[TA]coolkid
[TA]thecoop

Joined DPAD since previous post:
[TA]$hooks
[TA]rhughart

Expecting results from (based on posts in this thread...)
[TA]engineereeyore
[TA]Tobolo

From the seti@home-stats:
kearnj
Spoon
Mohammed
Booster
Kaasbytes
Geldor1
Shane
enis
Ninepepper2001
[TA]engineereeyore
Dnyholm
Bill

Joined seti@home since previous post:
None :(

From the Folding@home thread by GLeeM:
Matt_Lake
Dark_Cupcake
Trent_Russell
aoleleb
wright
jbubrisk
NatePo717
Kordaek
Gunhoe
f4phantom2500
[TA]Geldor1
Ionoxx
HombrePequeno
thelaird
HZR_PS3_Nam_75
Gator
Surfnet
aceofskies05
neonfiremanqtip
TimD
RichardE
TruePaige
Chapbass
SnowCrash
Lotheron
PS3
SystemJockey
[TA]_MegaVovaN
demo24
plonk420
CCrunner84
Sparks
jdogg707
BrokenArrow
JAM_Auto_Sound
[TA]ShadowBlade
destrekor
jinjin.hitoshi

Joined Folding@home since previous post:
Tegeril
titanmiller
Havs
40sTheme
Brazos
Geomagick
Liddick
anonips3
Paul_Kingston
tung
Netxen
Peter_Barriga
Cean
liviathan
Sillymak
kart17wins
mrmains
$hooks
GVRugby
1azycaTz
idiotekniQues
cbuchach
GLR

Expecting results from (based on posts in this thread...)
geokiller
SSSnail

From the Rosetta@home thread by Black Mountain Cow:
Kaasbytes
Pepper Breath
wladkummer
Jonathan
Jughead
Brad
Axoliien
Geldor1
Sandmeier
placer14
Gene
Rob

Joined Rosetta@home since previous post:
Danny
Orochi
HappyCracker
jrafael.montes

Summary:
The DPAD-TeAm has been joined by 15 crunchers.
The Seti@Home TeAm has been joined by 12 crunchers.
The Folding@Home TeAm has been joined by 61 crunchers.
The Rosetta@Home TeAm has been joind by 16 crunchers.

A total of 101 new crunchers have joined TeAm AnandTech in these projects. That is just great!

All are very welcome!

In this post I have checked the stats to see which crunchers have joined the TeAm. I also check the posts in this thread ...
If new crunchers have joined other projcts, please let me know. Those who keep tabs on stats - if you see new crunchers, post in this thread please!
If your name is not listed, please be patient: your results may not have made the stats yet (sometimes that takes quite a few hours), or I have not had the time to check the stats or I have not yet updated this post.

Joining the TeAm is not hard, but sometimes things may go wrong. Therefore please make sure that you follow the instructions carefully.
E.g., when joining DPAD, please put the [TA] in front of your name, when joining Folding@home choose TeAm 198 and with BOINC-projects please join the team by going to the team page and thre clicking the Join team-link.

Please post if you have any questions, concerns, ideas, or just to say hello!
We will do our best to answer.
If you want to chat or to NEF, please look in the please delete-thread ... ;)

Oh, and any errors are - of course - mine, so let me know ...

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Just to repeat the message:

More than 100 new crunchers have joined the TeAm AnandTech in the last 12 days!

All are very welcome and please, feel free to chat, ask questions, to nef, and above all:

To Have Fun!

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Prime and Orthos is the same. Orthos is dual core. If Orthos encounters an error, it will tell the user.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Ok in that case you do want to run it for 24hrs to do a proper test ,I once had a failure at 18hrs!

Re new members ,wow! 101 new members ,excellent!:D
I see F@H did nicely out of that!:Q:)

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
@geokilla
Using Task Manager to End Process will corrupt the WU. If you got a new WU it should work OK.

Which client are you using? FAH5.04?

There is a log file named FAHlog.txt, if you look in there you might find the problem. (Or post the log, maybe in the F@H stats thread and we can find the problem, your computer is probably OK)

1azycaTz

Mar 29, 2007
Man, it really feels great when i read the message welcoming me and urging me to ask questions, so im gonna ask! ;>

I have a 2.33 core 2 duo mac book ( on winXP ) with ati mobility x1600 w 256mb, and im running folding @ home 5.03 gromacs core, downloaded the graphical 1... ( im noob !! )

All those diff clients are confusing me...

I want to use my mac for light stuff (not playing games)... but i dont want FAH to use 100% of my CPU all the time... i am hoping for 80%? Right now its constantly 50%.. from what i read, its because FAH is using 1 core only. I dun wanna run 2 clients cus its confusing me ( have to use text only client etc... chore )... lol

I am wondering if i can squeeze that 30% more out of this mac? or at least make my idle graphics card do some good?

Well, should i delete my current graphical clieat and use the new SMP client? ( but FAH says its recommended for 4 cores.. mines only 2... )

Or, sld i download the ATI client and make my idle graphics card work , together with my graphical (the 5.03 gromacs) client?

Sry if i asked too much
1azycaT

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
I have FAH 5.04. I deleted the FAHlog.txt when I removed the computer. I have yet to restart my folding. I'm still running Orthos, which has been stable for almost 20hrs.

If using Task Manager will corrupt the WU, then if I shut down my computer, should I end the service first? I always shut down my computer when I go to sleep. Will this cause the WU to corrupt as well? 3 WUs have been corrupted already, forcing me to get a new one. The first one got corrupted because I used Task Manager to end the process, while the other 2 just got corrupted somehow.

Amaroque

Platinum Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: 1azycaTz
Man, it really feels great when i read the message welcoming me and urging me to ask questions, so im gonna ask! ;>

I have a 2.33 core 2 duo mac book ( on winXP ) with ati mobility x1600 w 256mb, and im running folding @ home 5.03 gromacs core, downloaded the graphical 1... ( im noob !! )

I want to use my mac for light stuff (not playing games)... but i dont want FAH to use 100% of my CPU all the time... i am hoping for 80%? Right now its constantly 50%.. from what i read, its because FAH is using 1 core only. I dun wanna run 2 clients cus its confusing me ( have to use text only client etc... chore )... lol

I am wondering if i can squeeze that 30% more out of this mac? or at least make my idle graphics card do some good?

Well, should i delete my current graphical clieat and use the new SMP client? ( but FAH says its recommended for 4 cores.. mines only 2... )

Or, sld i download the ATI client and make my idle graphics card work , together with my graphical (the 5.03 gromacs) client?

Sry if i asked too much
1azycaT

I just wanted to quick reply here...

I personally don't know the FAH client, but I will make sure you get answers! ;)

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
I have FAH 5.04. I deleted the FAHlog.txt when I removed the computer. I have yet to restart my folding. I'm still running Orthos, which has been stable for almost 20hrs.

If using Task Manager will corrupt the WU, then if I shut down my computer, should I end the service first? I always shut down my computer when I go to sleep. Will this cause the WU to corrupt as well? 3 WUs have been corrupted already, forcing me to get a new one. The first one got corrupted because I used Task Manager to end the process, while the other 2 just got corrupted somehow.

You can end the service first before shutting down the computer, but Windows should nicely shut down the service along with all the services and itself.

Not sure why the corrupted WUs. If it happens again, post the log, maybe we can find some reason.

Scott66

Feb 7, 2004
1azycaTz

Welcome, It is nice to see a mac user interested in Folding at Home. You won't be able to squeeze anymore than 50% if you want to use just one core. In effect you are using 100% of the one core and not using any of the other. That is fine but if you want to get the second core to run so you get 30% more on your machine, you will need to start a second instance of folding running at 60%. At this time you will need to use the console client

Also I think the ATi used in the apple macs can't run the folding client. Mac graphic processors use a different bios than the cards in the windows world. I may be wrong here.

Also a good place to get answers is to look for the most recent Folding@Home:24 hour stats and ask your question there. Member Amaroque reposted your question in the recent thread knowing it would get our attention.

Hope to see you soon in the TeAm.

Scott

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Originally posted by: 1azycaTz

Sry if i asked too much
1azycaT

Welcome to the TeAm and the DC forum, 1azycaTz :)

No, you don't ask too many questions. They are good questions considering how many different clients Folding@Home is introducing lately! The SMP and the GPU clients are fairly new so I don't know alot about them, but maybe I can help.

I am not sure if the GPU client will run OK on your ATI card, we'd have to check over at the folding forums. If it will it will use one of the CPU cores also, but I think not fully. So that might be a good solution for you.

The SMP client will use both cores. It is recommended for four but many are running on two.

The text only client (console or CLI), which is what the SMP is, can be set to use whatever percent of CPU as you want. I haven't run the graphical version, but I thought it could do the same.

If setting the SMP client to 90% would finish the WUs before the deadline, that would be the simplest solution.

There are people more experienced with these clients and I hope they reply with the best solution.

Good luck and thanks for joining the TeAm :thumbsup:

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
K my comp has passed 24hrs of Orthos blend testing. Type to start FAH again. Hope it works properly this time.