Welcome all new TeAm AnandTech members ...

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
The new recruitment thread has been up for a few hours in the different forums.

Let us in this thread welcome all those who are intrested, all thos who want to join or join and all those who have questions.

I have asked the moderators to sticky this thread or we will bump this thread to the top.
We will also watch it and answer your questions.

Welcome to TeAm Anandtech

and to the Distributed Computing Forum!

Edit May 13: 225 new crunchers have joined different projects. Very Welcome! :D

Edit May 1: 192 new crunchers have joined different projects. Very Welcome! :D

Edit April 21: 172 new crunchers have joined different projects. Very Welcome! :sun:

Edit March 30: 101 new crunchers have joined since March 18! Great result! ;)

Edit March 27: 74 new crunchers have joined different projects. All are very welcome! :)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
^^^TTT^^^

Edit: Some houes later: the thread has been stickied for 60 days.
Thanks Anandtech Moderators! :D

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Well heck I didn't see this when I asked for help. But I have three computers that I would like to run. I know I will be doing SETI and I would like to do Folding, Rosetta and DPAD. How do I setup the programs. (BIONIC Newb - SETI@Home Vet)

nefariouscaine

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2006
wondering what my rig would best be suited to do for dist comp - any advice or suggestions would be great

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Tobolo
Well heck I didn't see this when I asked for help. But I have three computers that I would like to run. I know I will be doing SETI and I would like to do Folding, Rosetta and DPAD. How do I setup the programs. (BIONIC Newb - SETI@Home Vet)

SETI and Rosetta are both BOINC projects. DPAD and F@H have their own client. So first step is to decide if you want to run all projects with the same ammount of CPU time or different. To really give some better advice, we'd need to know the specs of the PCs you want to run DC on. :beer:

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by: nefariouscaine
wondering what my rig would best be suited to do for dist comp - any advice or suggestions would be great

There's practically no limit with your rig. You need to decide for yourself, if you'd rather do some climate research, some protein research, physics, ... and so on. Once you decided that, let us know and we'll help you through the setup process if needed. :)

geldor1

Mar 24, 2005
Actually had a few systems running Seti a couple of years ago. Then just got out of the race.

Wanted to start up with Folding, but sorta forgot...

Just installed Folding and will run it on this system I'm currently surfing the net with.

MadAmos

Sep 13, 2006
welcome to all the new and interested d/c'ers I would be willing to help out with the folding@home CPU client setup PM me for more help or my skype ID for voice help :cool:

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Is there a science section (like DPAD) still available to join? I don't know how to do anything for setting up, so I would need some help there, but I have an E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz... it only runs when I get home from school, but then all it does is a little Internet cruising and AIM, so there's lots of power going to waste.

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: MotF Bane
Is there a science section (like DPAD) still available to join? I don't know how to do anything for setting up, so I would need some help there, but I have an E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz... it only runs when I get home from school, but then all it does is a little Internet cruising and AIM, so there's lots of power going to waste.
Yes, there's many exciting projects possible to join. See the welcome-thread for some of them.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Interesting you should choose DPAD for your example. In fact, that project is a large part of the reason for this current recruitment drive. :)

See also the "Team Anadtech needs more crunchers for DPAD! Free-DC is stomping us, and wants us down from 2nd rank ..." thread, and the current TAS thread (TAS is our tour group that does a new project every month, and sometimes helps out projects in trouble like DPAD.)

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
Yes, please do run DPAD if possible. It'd not like you're locked into any particular project, but the team could *really* use some help right now with DPAD. Welcome, everyone!

-jim

geldor1

Mar 24, 2005
Originally posted by: petrusbroder
Welcome geldor1 - very welcome ... I hope very much you joined team 198 ... ;)

Why, of course I joined TeAm 198. ;)

How long does it typically take to process the downloaded units?

I downloaded and installed the program on 2 systems.
1st one was 5000 frames and is at 2150 after almost a full day. (P4 3ghz,1GB, Win XP)
2nd one was 20000 frames and is at 3250 after the same amount of time. (P4 1.8ghz, 512MB, Win XP)laptop

Are there any settings to speed thing up?

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
A TA member here PM'ed me on how to set up DPAD and I gave him my take. I thought I'd post it here if anyone else is curious. It's a quick and dirty "how-to".

It's actually really easy to setup. Download the .zip file from the DPAD site:

http://www.stephenbrooks.org/muon1/v443d.zip

1) Unzip the file into a directory (I created C:\DPAD).
2) Create a file named user.txt in the same directory.
3) In this file, enter your preferred username as [TA]username (where username is your name).
4) Start the app and you're up and running.

I use the muon1_background.exe file as it seems to give the best performance. If you want pretty graphics you can run muon1.exe, but it runs about 10x slower than the background process. All of the executables happily run on multiprocessor machines.

If your machine is sluggish running DPAD, you can change this line in config.txt (same directory) to reduce DPADS impact on your computer:

Priority for background running ((N)ormal, (L)ow, (B)ackground): B

Welcome to TA!

-jim

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
Had some free time at work so I thought I would install the Folding@home on my home server....It's an IBM xseries 350...Quad 700 XEONS, so plenty of CPU not being used as I use the server just to play on.

And I joined the team.

I noticed their software DL says 2000,XP, Vista....Hopefully no issues with Server 2003

geldor1

Mar 24, 2005
Originally posted by: caferace
A TA member here PM'ed me on how to set up DPAD and I gave him my take. I thought I'd post it here if anyone else is curious. It's a quick and dirty "how-to".

3) In this file, enter your preferred username as [TA]username (where username is your name).

I use the muon1_background.exe file as it seems to give the best performance. If you want pretty graphics you can run muon1.exe, but it runs about 10x slower than the background process. All of the executables happily run on multiprocessor machines.

If your machine is sluggish running DPAD, you can change this line in config.txt (same directory) to reduce DPADS impact on your computer:

Welcome to TA!

-jim

Okaaaaaay... one more time for for someone having a brain fart...

You run the program from the new folder using the exacutable muon1.exe or muon1_background.exe?

When lauching muon1_background, the tray icon is not there but the process muon1 shows as running.

How do you see what the results, frames, or whatever are? Or, just run the program and don't worry 'bout it?

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
Originally posted by: geldor1

Welcome to TA!

-jim

Okaaaaaay... one more time for for someone having a brain fart...

You run the program from the new folder using the exacutable muon1.exe or muon1_background.exe?

When lauching muon1_background, the tray icon is not there but the process muon1 shows as running.

How do you see what the results, frames, or whatever are? Or, just run the program and don't worry 'bout it?

If you want to "watch" it running, you can run the muon1_cmdline.bat and it will show you in a CLI (DOS box) what it's doing. Any way you run it, you will notice the results.txt file getting larger. By default at ~100k data the results are automagically sent to the DPAD site. TA scores are reflected here at the DPAD site:

http://www.stephenbrooks.org/muon1/?team=[TA]&sortby=total%20Mpts&oldness=24

The above URL shows all TeAm members who have sent data in over the last 24 hours.

Hourly updated TeAm sTAtS can be seen at Free-DC here:

http://stats.free-dc.org/new/teamstats....am+Anandtech&orderby=d0&direction=DESC

-jim

geldor1

Mar 24, 2005
If you want to "watch" it running, you can run the muon1_cmdline.bat and it will show you in a CLI (DOS box) what it's doing. Any way you run it, you will notice the results.txt file getting larger. By default at ~100k data the results are automagically sent to the DPAD site.
-jim

Ahhhhhhh...... I see. :)

Just wanted to make sure it was actually doing something.
Would hate to think I was working for the greater good, only to have someone call me a Dumba$$ for not setting it up correctly. :eek:

Hey look, the results.txt just got bigger... woo hoo... :thumbsup:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Welcome to TA Tobolo,geldor1,MotF Bane,mooseracing

nefariouscaine
With your awesome rig your worlds your oyster :cool:

Btw - and more fans than should be legal lol :D

geldor1
Good to see your up & running ,(btw no-one here will call you a dumbass for that ,if they do LMK! *strokes baseball bat* ;) )
Inccidently if you want to benchmark your rigs for DPAD their's an addon app available to do this ,LMK if your interested ,for now I'll let ya get settled in :)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Second that - there are only somewhat less experienced crunchers and somewhat more experienced crunchers ... :D
the more experienced crunchers want the others to become more experienced ASAP ... :)

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: mooseracing
Had some free time at work so I thought I would install the Folding@home on my home server....It's an IBM xseries 350...Quad 700 XEONS, so plenty of CPU not being used as I use the server just to play on.

And I joined the team.

I noticed their software DL says 2000,XP, Vista....Hopefully no issues with Server 2003
In my experience, no problems with the command-line-client under Server 2003, and neither under Vista.

The GUI-client and Vista on the other hand didn't work correctly in my tests, but unstable graphics-driver can have influenced this result...

Welcome to the TeAm. :)