Weirdest IDE problem

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
I was swapping cases and my HDD in master combined with my DVD drive in slave wouldn't show up. So I switched both to cable select, and my DVD drive showed up as master and my HDD as slave. However, because of my cable arrangement, I can't change the cable so I switched the HDD back to master and DVD drive back in slave via jumpers and yet again they don't show up. What in the world am I doing wrong?

imported_Tick

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
So the hdd is in the middle the dvd drive is in the top spot, and the correct cable end it toward the mobo?

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Tick
So the hdd is in the middle the dvd drive is in the top spot, and the correct cable end it toward the mobo?

Um yes. I think. Does it matter which end of the IDE cable is plugged into the mobo?

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: neutralizer

Um yes. I think. Does it matter which end of the IDE cable is plugged into the mobo?

I haven't tried anything other than blue.

Varun

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2002
Originally posted by: neutralizer

The blue end has to go to the motherboard, as the ground connections are only there.

Maybe try a new cable?

JimPhelpsMI

Golden Member
Oct 8, 2004
Hi, Obviously your cable is CABLE SELECT. It will not work as MASTER/SLAVE. Some of the conductors are not connected pin to pin but are crossed. You will have to use CS on both and observe the color of the connectors. If you must go otherwise you will have to use a non CS cable and MASTER/SLAVE. Jim

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Nothing wrong or problematic with having the HDD as slave and teh optical as master.

Fern