Question Weird video issue on Ryzen 3600 build after changing heatsink/fan

brottman

Jan 26, 2011
I recently completed a Ryzen 3600 build using a Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) and a Radeon Vega 56 graphics card. Everything was working great and normally until I decided to upgrade the stock Steath cooler that comes with the 3600 to a DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400. Now, the computer seems to function normally once inside Windows, but I don't get any graphics on the monitor until it's fully booted into Windows 10. I don't see any of the POST stuff that you normally see when the computer turns on. I don't even see the Windows logo. The monitor is blank until it is sitting at the Windows login screen.

I've tried changing the DP port that I'm using on the video card, but it makes no difference. I have been able to get into the bios by smashing the delete button, but it seems very hit and miss. When it works, I'm suddenly in the bios, but outside of that, blank screen until windows login.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, those Gammax 400 heatsinks, use an old-school "brutal executioner" style clamp, that can damage your cards or board, if you're not extremely-fricken-careful. IMHO.

Chances are, though, that that is not your problem, but rather, a coincidence.

Is the BIOS logo appearance, different if you enable/disable CSM booting? When you installed Windows 10, did you boot UEFI on the installer, to install it in UEFI mode? Is Secure Boot enabled, or disabled?

brottman

Jan 26, 2011
Yeah, those Gammax 400 heatsinks, use an old-school "brutal executioner" style clamp, that can damage your cards or board, if you're not extremely-fricken-careful. IMHO.

Chances are, though, that that is not your problem, but rather, a coincidence.

Is the BIOS logo appearance, different if you enable/disable CSM booting? When you installed Windows 10, did you boot UEFI on the installer, to install it in UEFI mode? Is Secure Boot enabled, or disabled?

Thank you!!! I was able to enter the bios by unplugging the cpu fan header, which made the boot sequence stop to tell me about it so I could enter the bios. Once inside, I found that CSM was indeed disabled. Upon re-enabling it, everything seems back to normal again. I wasn't even aware that it existed until you mentioned it! Any idea why I was experiencing the problem I had when it was disabled?

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Any idea why I was experiencing the problem I had when it was disabled?
Boot / POST behavior can be different, depending on CSM:Enabled|Disabled, Fast Boot:Enabled|Disabled, and Secure Boot:Enabled|Disabled.

Can also depend on mobo and vendor, BIOS revisions, etc.

Glad that you got it working.