Weird temps... Chassis hotter than CPU

zod

Oct 10, 1999
Ok, I just put a system together... here are its specs:

Antec ks188 w/300w PS
MSI k7pro
700mhz TBird not overclocked
couple of PCI cards, tnt2 ultra

Case is currently open on one side and the top.
Processor has a RDJD701 with supplied thermal tape (i am getting some paste soon, I just wanted to test with the tape).

One 80mm fan blowing in at bottom of case in plastic bracket.

Now here is where I am confused.

The chassis temp is always 2 degrees warmer than the CPU. Right now the chassis is at 39 and cpu is at 37 C. I'd figure the CPU would get pretty hot since the tape isnt too great a conductor of heat to the rest of the case...
What gives? :)

or are MSI's readings wrong?

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
on my old system, C366 on BP6 w/ Alpha, Motherboard is always ~2 degrees hotter than the CPU. I thought the Alpha was so good, it actually made the CPU cooler than the system.

zod

Oct 10, 1999
I considered that, but I figured with only thermal tape, and a single fan RDDJ701 that wouldnt be the case.

Just for fun i just disconnected my other intake case fan and am currently running at
96F (36c) CPU

102F (39c) Chassis

cpu is still cooler...

pyr

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
what are you using to take the temp? if you are using MBM you might have the compensations set improperly. if you have them set ok, then thats not a bad system at all!

zod

Oct 10, 1999
I am using the little util Microstar packaged with their mobo, it seems to agree with what the BIOS reports.

Also remember, this sucker isnt even overclocked yet, at default voltage, and the side of the case is open.

I was hoping for an overclock to around 900mhz :)