Question Weird stains on motherboard. Can't figure out if this is brand new or not! Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra

soutsos

May 28, 2020
I recently bought a (brand new) Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra motherboard and I discovered some weird-looking stains (looks like glue residue) and I have been told that it is most probably flux residue.
enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here
I contacted Gigabyte support but they were extremely unhelpful and ambiguous. They said that unless I send them the motherboard, they cannot give me any information and I should contact the supplier.

If you are experienced with hardware and motherboards, do you think that this board could indeed be brand new? Most people have said that this does not like it is new, out-of-the-box, while 2 other people have said that this could be brand new. There are scratches on the shiny metal side shown in the pictures and the stains are all over the board but I couldn't photograph them all through the computer case.

Any thoughts from people with experience?

soutsos

May 28, 2020
That does not look like normal flux residue and those scratches look awful. That board definitely looks used to me. I would exchange it immediately for a new one IMO.
Thank you for your reply. If it weren't for the answers from other people that claim that this can happen to brand new motherboards, I would have already opened a dispute through PayPal. It is impossible for me to exchange this board rn, as I have deadlines to meet in the next 4 months. If only there was a way to know for sure if marks such as these can exist on boards straight from manufacturing...

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thank you for your reply. If it weren't for the answers from other people that claim that this can happen to brand new motherboards, I would have already opened a dispute through PayPal. It is impossible for me to exchange this board rn, as I have deadlines to meet in the next 4 months. If only there was a way to know for sure if marks such as these can exist on boards straight from manufacturing...
No way to know for sure.

But what I can tell you is:

1. I've never had a new motherboard arrive looking like that (and I've purchased a lot of Gigabyte boards over the years).
2. If you ever need to send that to Gigabyte for any RMA service, they will send it back saying board warranty is void due to physical damage.

It's your call if you want to keep it, but like Daveybrat already said, you should send it back for a replacement.

soutsos

May 28, 2020
No way to know for sure.

But what I can tell you is:

1. I've never had a new motherboard arrive looking like that (and I've purchased a lot of Gigabyte boards over the years).
2. If you ever need to send that to Gigabyte for any RMA service, they will send it back saying board warranty is void due to physical damage.

It's your call if you want to keep it, but like Daveybrat already said, you should send it back for a replacement.

I wish I could send it back, but due to work I can't afford ~ a month without a computer. I will open a claim for a partial refund.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Its a RMA board.
Whoever you bought it from probably got it back from a RMA and sold it as new.

Gigabyte sent me a RMA'd board exactly like that, and i raged.
I told them they can send me a refurbished as a RMA fine, but if it looks worse then the board i sent them thats broken then hellz no.

Sent the CS pictures of the board i sent, as i always take pictures before for bait and switchs ASUS used to do, and the RMA i got.
CS immediately mailed out a new one with an apology.

But my first RMA looked exactly like that.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
At this point i would immediately file a claim and return the board.
That is totally not acceptable for a new condition.

I would not even consider keeping an RMA board, unless its my own RMA.

soutsos

May 28, 2020
At this point i would immediately file a claim and return the board.
That is totally not acceptable for a new condition.

I would not even consider keeping an RMA board, unless its my own RMA.
I have filed a claim through PayPal and I asked for a substantial refund. I want to return it, but at this time it is impossible. I don't have a second computer and I have important deadlines for the next 5 months. Thank you for your advice though

country2

May 1, 2001
That last one pic that looks like scratches if you look at the edge of it looks like that's just that plastic film that you are suppose to remove. Rest does look weird...HOWEVER...after looking at it again and drinking another beer I'm going to say this...last pic remove the plastic film on the heatsink (heck I can see on the upper left side of it the edges of the plastic coming up..look closely looks like lint along the edge) and enjoy the NEW board. It was probably made on a Friday on a pay week and just piss poor workman ship. Think about it how else would all those weird stain be in so many area unless it was done during the manufacture process? Thats my train of thought and I'm stinkin to it!

Last edited:

soutsos

May 28, 2020
That last one pic that looks like scratches if you look at the edge of it looks like that's just that plastic film that you are suppose to remove. Rest does look weird...HOWEVER...after looking at it again and drinking another beer I'm going to say this...last pic remove the plastic film on the heatsink (heck I can see on the upper left side of it the edges of the plastic coming up..look closely looks like lint along the edge) and enjoy the NEW board. It was probably made on a Friday on a pay week and just piss poor workman ship. Think about it how else would all those weird stain be in so many area unless it was done during the manufacture process? Thats my train of thought and I'm stinkin to it!
Brother there is no plastic film and the manufacturer themselves have verified that this is not new.

Feb 4, 2009
Doesn’t gigabyte offer a service where you “secure” the new board with a credit card or a charge and then are refunded when the problem board arrives?
Basically a fast replacement, you ship your board back after receiving the replacement.

Feb 4, 2009
I have absolutely no idea. I bought this board on computeruniverse.net

I’d look into it with either the board maker or the place that sold you the board.
Fair policy, you aren’t out a month waiting for replacement, vendor doesn’t have to worry about you not shipping old stuff back.