Weird question that came up at work today

Dec 26, 2007
One of my coworkers has some kids and is getting child support from the father(s). Well, I've been under the impression that a significant portion of that is for health care (and obviously other living expenses). So, if UHC goes through and we see a UHC program does that mean that the child support system will need to go through changes as well?

We came to the conclusion that nothing would change as far as child support goes (which I think it won't because that system is so fucked up along with alimoney), even though the parents won't have to cover health care out of pocket anymore.

Aug 23, 2000
From all my friends that are stuck in this situation, they pay for the insurance through their work plans they are on and the child support money goes to the mother so she can spend it on beer and smokes.

The amount of money some guys have to pay in child support is sickening. I know one guy that pays a third of his salary to child support, but the mom wants more.

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008
The child support system and the whole child custody system needs serious reform.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
From all my friends that are stuck in this situation, they pay for the insurance through their work plans they are on and the child support money goes to the mother so she can spend it on beer and smokes.

The amount of money some guys have to pay in child support is sickening. I know one guy that pays a third of his salary to child support, but the mom wants more.

QFT!

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Hell no! No regulation! This is laissez faire Captialism at it's finest. Everything's working perfectly. Judge gets paid, lawyers get paid, mother gets paid. What's the problem? Idiot should've worn a condom.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Originally posted by: JKing106
Hell no! No regulation! This is laissez faire Captialism at it's finest. Everything's working perfectly. Judge gets paid, lawyers get paid, mother gets paid. What's the problem? Idiot should've worn a condom.

It's like ZeGermans, except without the anti-military focus.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: MotF Bane

All of his posts are like this recently.

Kntx

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2000

I don't think that 1/3 of your salary to support your children is ridiculous or sickening.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb

All of his posts are like this recently.

He was vac'ed for 2 weeks, so it looks like he's making up for lost time. Definitely doubled down on the crack pipe today.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999

Nature abhors a vacuum. ZeGermans gets perma-banned and now we have this.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus
One of my coworkers has some kids and is getting child support from the father(s). Well, I've been under the impression that a significant portion of that is for health care (and obviously other living expenses). So, if UHC goes through and we see a UHC program does that mean that the child support system will need to go through changes as well?

We came to the conclusion that nothing would change as far as child support goes (which I think it won't because that system is so fucked up along with alimoney), even though the parents won't have to cover health care out of pocket anymore.

I don't think that's generally true.

If by "health care" you mean some kid that has an expensoive pre-existing condition, yes it could.

OTOH, if you mean health insurance for the kid, I don't see it. Most kids are covered under their parent's plan. If they're not, there is SCHIPs (state childrens health insurance program) etc. Also, and importantly, health insurance for kids is inexpensive.

I don't why any changes in child support would be necessary at this point in the UHC debate.

Fern

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Kntx

I don't think that 1/3 of your salary to support your children is ridiculous or sickening.

I just did a rough calculation, it costs me no more than 10% of my salary (me alone, not joint with my wife) in child related expenses.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Kntx

Umm, yeah that's very high.

It's after-tax dollars to. Child support isn't deductible like alimony. So he's paying SS, fed & state (and maybe local) income tax on it.

I'm thinking tuition at a private school is jacking it up. Otherwise, kids don't cost much money usually.

Fern

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
That's why I nuke all the women I sleep with from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

(yes ocguy this is a joke. I don't actually nuke women from orbit - but thanks for checking)

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
That's why I nuke all the women I sleep with from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

(yes ocguy this is a joke. I don't actually nuke women from orbit - but thanks for checking)

You seem pretty obsessed with OCGuy lately.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: jbourne77
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01

You seem pretty obsessed with OCGuy lately.

just my usual 1 liner. But this time I made sure he knew it was a joke so i wouldn't have him come and say that I lie and I don't have nukes OR I am a latent homosexual and I want to meet ocguy at a truck stop.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Rewriting divorce law is political suicide and that's why it doesn't happen often, problem is, you piss off 50% of the population no matter what you do at a legislative level.

Typical divorce orders spell out child support and medical insurance obligations separately. If UHC comes to pass, it'll be easy to integrate into current divorce law, and give legislators a reason to modify divorce law.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

Well if you get a girl pregnant and don't wish to stay with her, I hope have to pay for it, too. Wonders why people who are right to life has such issues with child support. I'm not saying you are, just in general from the posts that I have read over the years on this board about this topic.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: umbrella39

Well if you get a girl pregnant and don't wish to stay with her, I hope have to pay for it, too. Wonders why people who are right to life has such issues with child support. I'm not saying you are, just in general from the posts that I have read over the years on this board about this topic.

What!! Never heard of boys that brag about getting girls pregnant and want to get out of providing support for the children?

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus

Why post a question and then answer it yourself?