weird program

wfbberzerker

Lifer
Apr 12, 2001
i had some friends over for the super bowl (some of em were computery guys, well, like you'd find here on anadtech), and they were using my computer. after they all left, i come back to my computer to find this program running in my systray called "DameWare Mini Remote Control." its listing in the task manager DWRCS.EXE, and i cant end the process (it gives me Access is denied message - im administrator), and there is also a listing called DNTUS26.EXE that also goes with it, which i also can't end. i also cant find any programs in the start menu or add/remove programs that relate to this. what the hell is this thing, and how do i get rid of it?

wfbberzerker

Lifer
Apr 12, 2001
well, not really a friend, (it was basically the swim team which im on coming over). first he burns a copy of quake 3 (!) without saying a word to me, and now this. aargh, i would just like to know how to get rid of it, since i cant really seem to do anything.

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
Originally posted by: wfbberzerker
Originally posted by: NuclearFusi0n
DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW

RESEARCH FROM ANOTHER COMPUTER

DISCONNECT.

?

dont mind him. he just lost 30GB of stuff on his drive.. still alittle PO'd i guess.. :p

wfbberzerker

Lifer
Apr 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Nohr
Try this.

ah, thank you very much nohr! that did the trick! (i had been looking around on the site, but couldnt find anything)

well, that person is banned from my house forever! :|

EDIT: Nohr gets a 10 :D

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I don't let my wife and kids near my PC, not to mention strangers. Computer Security 101 - restrict access.

wfbberzerker

Lifer
Apr 12, 2001
Originally posted by: AnyMal
I don't let my wife and kids near my PC, not to mention strangers. Computer Security 101 - restrict access.

i usually dont have any problems with people using my computer, im not too anal about it because i dont really have anything vital on it and i want to be a good host, but i mean come on! this person (and some of his friends who were also here - basically some of the school's computer nerds :p) really get to me when they come over. i mean, he just helps himself to one of my blank cd's, burns himself a copy of my game, and proceeds to install software for remote access? thats just plain awful.

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com

i usually dont have any problems with people using my computer, im not too anal about it because i dont really have anything vital on it and i want to be a good host, but i mean come on! this person (and some of his friends who were also here - basically some of the school's computer nerds :p) really get to me when they come over. i mean, he just helps himself to one of my blank cd's, burns himself a copy of my game, and proceeds to install software for remote access? thats just plain awful.

Christ, pull that sh|t in my place and you'll be on your head on my sidewalk within ten seconds.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001

Yes, you got off light.. Lucky for you he didn't decide or wasn't smart enough to say, break into a credit card company database and steal few thousand credit card numbers, just to have everything trailed back to your PC. I am sure you'd have tough time explaining to feds that you didn't do it. I am sure he did not install that program to provide remote assistance to you or provide you with endless stream of free MP3's and movies.

BennyD

Banned
Sep 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Nohr

Christ, pull that sh|t in my place and you'll be on your head on my sidewalk within ten seconds.

yeah, with your body still at the puter :D

Luden

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001

I agree, I let people use my computer because I dont really keep anything that important on it. However my personal administrative account is password protected (and auto logs -off after 10 minutes). The only account that is usable is a limited account with all the lockdowns... My account use to be open until I found someone put sub7 on my machine :| Not as easy to find, and it was in abot 20 spots.... grr. Once my machine did some really funky stuff I knew what the problem was and killed the net and pulled out the trojan detector.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
In the future, if there is a task running and you want it ended quickly, you can usually just right click and debug it. This causes it to attempt to debug a running task and crashes the task. It isn't pretty, but it ends it for the time being, until you can find a way to fully remove the program.

There is also the kill command, but I am not sure if it is part of the nt reskit. "kill -f <PID>" can be pretty brutal.