Weird problem on KA7-100...

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem. I have run Prime95 torture test like 3 times at this speed and it goes through every time with no errors or crashes. All of a sudden my systems freezes for like 5 or 6 seconds, then un-freezes for about 10 seconds, then freezes again. It keeps happening until I shut down completely and then reboot. It works for awhile, then it just starts again. The weirdest part is that the Prime95 torture test will keep going for hours on end with the system like this...what gives? I reduced the speed to default and it still happens. I had problems installing the new VIA drivers, so maybe that is it. I am going to format an re-install Winblows. Just wondering if anyone had experienced this.

InsaneMorphius

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
Insane3D,

Sounds like a problem I had. I rectified it by doing a clean install, then only installing the newest VIA AGP drivers. Something about the 4in1s does this. Also, if you are running with the shipping BIOS, you should really consider switching to the "ry" BIOS for the KA7, it works on the KA7-100 better than the original BIOS does. It also comes with some other "goodies" options, you'll see.

Morphius

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Thanks, I thought it might have something to do with the IRQ drivers. I am actually using the RY bios now, but I am considering flashing to the new BX boards bios that allows RAID also. Thanks again...

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
What's up Insane. Thanks again for the cd. Apparently the 4 in 1's are not good for the KX133 chip sets. I only installed the agp driver and I lost a couple of fps. But so far so good. I have flashed to the bios from Bxboards and it is bit more stable. It corrected a problem I had running HD TACH 2.61 when I overclocked. Disk performance is slightly better, its a good bios. I wouldn't install any of the 4 in 1's, not even the agp driver. The only reason I have not removed it is because there is no uninstall for it and don't feel like hacking the registry.