weird problem involving PNGs in browsers and displayed output on system screen

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
I got a really weird problem here that I'm just not getting. At first I thought my netbook's display was somehow bugged out, but I'm led to think this is more of a software bug.

I'm making a website, and it involves PNG images. The image that's causing problems is the background PNG used for the page's body element. Basically, there's a background image, which "fades" into the generic "black" of the background (hence why I'm using a PNG image for the effect). Now here's the problem, simulated with Paint:

website maximized:
3qIgz.png

website minimized:
vLgQ9.png

So basically, when I load the page, and have it open in memory anywhere, my desktop looks like the second image. I get weird artifacts on specific spots where there is transparency in the background PNG image (it's like the individual pixels that are certain levels of transparent on the website remain in a "bugged out" state). It doesn't really go away until I close the browser, and re-open it with a fresh page. This happens in both Firefox (16.0.2) and IE9. I ran a full memory diagnostic with no problems.

System is running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium; AMD C-60 with AMD Vision graphics (HD 6290), display driver version 8.930.13.0 (1/27/2012).

This is seriously one of the weirdest problems I've ever come across. Only thing I can think of is some sort of display driver bug - I haven't had a chance to try it on another system yet.

Last edited:

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
Could be gpu or driver.try on another system.
Everything else on this system works fine, including 3D gaming.

So if I try it on another system and it works just fine, that means its likely a driver issue, right?

Selenium_Glow

Jan 25, 2012
Everything else on this system works fine, including 3D gaming.

So if I try it on another system and it works just fine, that means its likely a driver issue, right?

That, or maybe the browser is acting up? Did you try it in other browsers? (I'm sure you must have...)
I'd try to use chrome. Disable hardware acceleration and see if the thing still happens.

I had this issue with firefox nightly builds once. A similar web page worked perfectly fine in chrome and regular firefox, but acted weird in nightly. I understand that nightlies are unstable anyways, but I'm giving my inputs here on this basis...

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
That, or maybe the browser is acting up? Did you try it in other browsers? (I'm sure you must have...)
I'd try to use chrome. Disable hardware acceleration and see if the thing still happens.

I had this issue with firefox nightly builds once. A similar web page worked perfectly fine in chrome and regular firefox, but acted weird in nightly. I understand that nightlies are unstable anyways, but I'm giving my inputs here on this basis...
I tried two different browsers...

jolancer

Sep 6, 2004
reminds me of how a locked up video will stay displaying a fixed image through certain Other windows untill player is manually closed.

forgive me im not familiar with win7 but i assume your using a custom background desktop image? if so which format is it in? in XP it was always manditory BMP, if its no longer mandatory and your using something else(and view desktop as webpage[or equivalent] is not optional or enabled) , then try switching the background format to BMP and does it react the same?

Selenium_Glow

Jan 25, 2012
I tried two different browsers...

And now when I re read this thread, you've clearly written that clearly in the OP as well.

I figured out that disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox will not help. I did some searching, and found that this sort of thing can happen due to window animations (like menu fades, minimize maximize animations, etc). It is said to be a very difficult bug to reproduce.

Try disabling all kinds of windows 7 animations, turn off aero transparency, and see if this problem persists. If the problem goes away with this... well... I don't know what this means honestly. :\

That's all I could find so far.