Weird Problem - 5yr Old PC Won't Boot Unless Reset Button is Pushed (Possibly Related to USB Device Not Recognized Error)

muskyx1

Apr 20, 2005
Weird problem. PC won't boot unless clearing the CMOS and it appears that this problem started at the sametime as getting the USB Device Not Recognized when the PC finally boots in windows. After the PC boots and I get that usb error message, the Keyboard and mouse don't work. Windows does eventually recognize the keyboard and mouse after a few seconds, but the USB error is still displayed. Set the BIOS to default, pulled all USB devices out and even plugged a corded keyboard and mouse, but the problem persists. Really scratching my head on this.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Check your PSU's +5V and +5VSB voltages with a DMM.

You might need a new PSU, and/or, a new CMOS coin-cell battery, and/or, a new mobo (in the extreme case, that the USB ports/controller are failing on the mobo). But PSU is suspect first-off, especially if it's more than three years old (OEM branded rig), or more than 4-5 years old (retail PSU without Japanese capacitors).

Might just have a faulty USB device connected, but I would check the PSU outputs too, just to be "safe". Sometimes, nano-dongles like used by Logitech and wifi dongles, "burn out" due to heavy usage (shouldn't happen to Logitech dongles though, unless you type like a madman. :) )

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Oh, you said 5-year-old PC in title.

Specs? Is this a branded OEM PC? Chances are, unless you've purchased a really high-end PSU for it, that the PSU might need replacing after five years, depending on load and electrical conditions where you live. You might also be due for a CMOS battery replacement, if you constantly have to "Clear CMOS" before being able to boot.

The second option (replacing CMOS battery) would be the cheapest and most immediate, if you don't happen to have another compatible, known-good working PSU to swap in to test. You can pick up CR2032 batteries at most drugstores (semi-pricey), or dollar stores (occasionally, much cheaper).