Question Weird HD tune graph for my brand new Hard drive

madknight

Jul 1, 2021
I purchased a brand new WD my passport 2TB hard drive, why do I get this weird HD tune graph?
How should I do partitioning in it for short stroking it now? as the graph doesn't seem to decline but on contrary increases after 500GB.
Please Help

Attachments

• HD tune.png
    HD tune.png
    169.1 KB · Views: 17

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I purchased a brand new WD my passport 2TB hard drive, why do I get this weird HD tune graph?
How should I do partitioning in it for short stroking it now? as the graph doesn't seem to decline but on contrary increases after 500GB.
Please Help

Does the benchmark consistently do this? If not, I'd assume that Windows asked the drive to do something shortly before/during the test.

I don't know what short stroking a drive is.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
How should I do partitioning in it for short stroking it now?

If its for bulk storage, don't bother. Drives have enough cache that it doesn't matter too much.

I don't know what short stroking a drive is.

Its something we did way back when to minimise seek times and transferrates. It's simply partitioning the drive to only use the outer cylinders/tracks where it's fastest.

Kind of like how you'll want the swapfile to reside there for maximum performance. Of course, this was obsoleted by SSDs for system drive use.

Reactions: damian101