Weird Excel Problem .. Cany anyone help??

GCS

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Hey fellas I have a totally screwed up MS Excel problem and I hope someone has some sort of idea how to fix it.

Symptoms:

-- Whenever I use Excel after about 5 mins (sometimes more or less) my computer gets super slow, almost to the point of lockups. The mouse and the keyboard both lag and hesitate as I try to do anything. It will often repeat keystrokes due to this hesitation.

The machine stays in this state until reboot which is the only way to fix it. Simply exiting Excel does not make the problem go away.

This only occurs with Excel.

It also makes no difference what I am doing or have running on the machine (ie other programs open).

System is an AMD X2 3800+, 2gb of Ram, 160gb HDD (using about 30gb)
Running Windows XP Pro, NOD32 AV, No Windows Security Center

I have AV Scan, AD-aware scanned, Spybot scanned, and defrag many times and this problem will not go away.

Hoping someone here has a solution as this is a MAJOR issue for me (I'm an accountant and use excel all day).

Thanks in advance.

Greg

mayest

Jun 30, 2006
It sounds like there may be something corrupted. Does it happen no matter what file you are working with? If so, then I would try going to Help --> Detect and Repair. You may need the installation CD to fix any problems. Also, you might try not loading add-ins (Tools --> Add-ins and uncheck all of them). Finally, check your startup folder, the XLStart folder, and the Library folder to see if anything in those could be causing the problem.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
do you have a personal macro workbook that opens when you open excel? Open Excel and hit alt-F11 to see.

GCS

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: NeoV
do you have a personal macro workbook that opens when you open excel? Open Excel and hit alt-F11 to see.

Nope.

This problem is becoming more of an issue. The repair thing helps a little bit (ie I can work for about 30 mins before it goes fubar) but nowhere near fixes the problem.

Short of a complete reinstall of windows and all programs I am clueless on what to do next.

Any other thoughts??

Greg

GCS

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: tw1164
Do you have all the service packs for Office installed?

yup, I do my best to stay 100% up to date on that stuff.

Greg

moulin1

Sep 6, 2007
You could be having:
macro or template trouble: Set Tools|Macros|Security|High Go to Office directory in explorer and delete contents of folders XLStart and Startup
executable hanging trouble: Got to Task Manager and see if you have multiple copies of excel running.
paging file trouble: Rightclick My Computer|Properties|Advanced|Performance and set page file to recommended size
another app eating your memory: Go to task manager|processes and kill everything except windows essential processes and try again
windows eating your memory: go to task manager|processes and kill explorer.exe the Start|Run|Explorer see if it speeds up right away (if this then repair or reinstall windows)