Weird DNS/RRAS issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by goobernoodles, Dec 1, 2011.

1. goobernoodles

goobernoodles Golden Member

I added RRAS services to a server that acts as a print server, and also houses data and handles authentication for estimating software we use here. The server also is connected to a network USB hub that has a USB security key plugged into it for authentication.

Since adding RRAS services to this server, I've seen the following issues:

1) Since RRAS adds a internal network interface, there is now a 2nd DNS entry for the server. Lets say the server name is "SERVER". The LAN IP is 192.168.0.10, and the RRAS internal interface is 192.168.0.124. End-users sometimes will resolve "SERVER" as x.x.x.10, other times x.x.x.124.
    2) End users, occasionally cannot print - when they resolve the hostname to x.x.x.124. Flushing the DNS usually will get the machines resolving the hostname back to x.x.x.10, however they still cannot UNC to the hostname, and a reboot is required.
    3) The estimating software has issues when resolving to the .124 address. This is even though using an java app built into the system, I can see the key at either .10 or .124 addresses.

I moved the RRAS services to this server as a temporary solution as I upgrade our domain controller which currently houses the RRAS services. Have yet to make the switch on the firewall side of things, so end users aren't using it. I might just switch the RRAS services to another machine, but my main questions are:

a) Is this internal interface necessary for VPN functionality?
    b) Is it possible to eliminate that interface from creating a DNS entry?
    c) Could this be some firewall issue associated with the .124 interface not allowing traffic through?

2. Loading...