Weird CPU Temp Readings

teddyv

May 7, 2005
Hi Folks,

I just upgraded to a i5-2500k, Asus P8z68V-LX, 16g of Corsair Vengeance 1600 - it is a great machine and light years ahead of the AMD 3000 rig it replaced. I was fiddling around with it and decided to see what setting the Win7 performance settings to Max Performance would do. About 30 seconds later the little red Asus warning window popped up that CPU temp had hit 72. I immediately set it back to "Balanced" and opened the Asus temp sensor and the temp sort of bounced between declining high sixties and the low fourties. I let it be for a bit and it settled at 32 steady. A bit later I was using mp3 to iPod book shareware to crunch mp3 files into an audiobook (holy cow this thing is fast!) and it again flashed the 72 warning, again alternating between 70/69/68/declining and 45 about a second or two apart. CPU load was hovering around 85% on core 4 and negligible on the other three. I shut it down for an hour or so and began converting again, never got above 46.

Is this some temp oddity with Asus? Did I screw something up by setting it to max?

System is bone stock running default except for XMP on the memory, Antec 300 case with added hd fan to 3-pin header and Antec case fans set to medium, running 1 version back Bios. Also, i ran the intel cpu test earlier in the day and all was good. Thanks for any advice.

Ted

Last edited:

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
You could either disable the alarm either in BIOS or get a better heatsink that should keep it cooler that it will never trigger the alarm. 72C isn't exactly that hot and shouldn't be a concern.