Weird..after about 8 hours of no activity, lines everywhere? (On AP64D)

SeanH

Apr 9, 2002
Ok, this was the first day I went to school and left my computer on. Before, with my cheapo GeForce 2 MX, my computer monitor would wake up normally when I got home and moved the mouse.

However, today, when I got home, I moved the mouse, and to my relief the monitors turned on. But, when I returned a minute later, lines were everywhere. I could tell the location of my mouse because it was a little box, with different colored lines. I tryed guessing where the start button was, and restarting, but that didn't work. I just CRTL+ALT+Deleted. Then it went black, and the screen flickered a bit, then little lines raced across the screen. Than I just press the reset button, as I got a little impatient.

Now, what could be causing this? Its running just fine now, and it doesn't seem like anything was wrong.. I don't understand how leaving the computer idle for 8 hours can do this. So, its a double monitor setup, but that shouldn't matter.. For your information its a Radeon 8500 LE Chipset, made by Gigabyte, the AP64D. (CLocked at 249/249 right now). All the rest of my specs are in my profile or follow the link below.

Any ideas?

----

So far I HAVE tried a Windows re-install, nothing. i have also tried numeroues drivers, nothing. And, i have tried many different speeds and various other tweaks, nothing..

Help??

Chaos308

May 24, 2002
You might want to check the fan.
I have a AP64D, and when I loaded Vtuner the other day, it reoportted that the fan wasn't running.

Opened up the case, and sure enough it wasn't.

The fan turns fine with the fan facing UP, then face it down, as it would be oriented in a tower case, and it hits the cover.
Placed some .030" nylon washers between the HS and fan cover and it's ok now.

I'm sure it was working when I first installed the Card, as it was a new system and I made sure to verify that all fans were turning.

I'm wondering if mine is an isolated incident, or if there are other AP64D(h) owners with a similiar problem?

SeanH

Apr 9, 2002
Yeah, I had trouble with the fan at first also. It hit the fan guard. I thought my card was screwed, but I took off the guard, and sure enough it didn't make a sound (before it made a licking sound). I lef it off, and I don't recall the fan ever stopping (I can sort of hear it).

Oh well, its gone now. :)

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
Looks like your graphics card has troubles accessing its own RAM properly.

This usually doesn't happen unless it's broken, overclocked too far, or permanently damaged from heat or some other incompatible environmental property :)

regards, Peter

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS