Weightloss question(s)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Kur
Originally posted by: Special K

What you need to do is start tracking exactly what you eat each day. Fitday makes it easy. You will also need a starting point for your BMR - this is the number of calories you would need to eat in a day to exactly maintain your current weight. You can find an estimate here - make sure to click on the link labeled "Daily Calorie Needs" to find an estimate based on activity level.

Could you suggest a maximum intake? Some sites say 1500 other say 2000 because of my size.

What did the calculator say when you plugged in your info? Use that as a starting point, track your weight, and make adjustments as I mention in my post.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/caloriesmalecalc.html

Says 4000 >.>

That's not the one I linked to. I was referring to the calculator in my post.

Sorry for the slow reply's and bumping but: You have a BMR of 2757.34. Should I cut it to 1500 or something around there?

No. Start with that amount, track your calories and weight, and make gradual adjustments from there, just like I said in my previous post.

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
You need to track your macros.

It should be 40/40/20.

40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat.

Fitday will give you a graph of macros if you plug in what you eat.

The ammount of calories isn't as important as the quality of those calories.

Goodluck!

Rogo

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Rogodin2

I'm going to have to disagree with this. You can eat the healthiest food in the world, but if you are eating under maintenance, you aren't gaining any weight, period.

The same goes for losing weight. If you consume 4k cals of healthy food and your maintenance is 3000, you will get fat, period.

Granted you should always strive to eat as healthy as possible, but it's the total number that will ultimately make or break you.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

I'm going to have to disagree with this. You can eat the healthiest food in the world, but if you are eating under maintenance, you aren't gaining any weight, period.

The same goes for losing weight. If you consume 4k cals of healthy food and your maintenance is 3000, you will get fat, period.

Granted you should always strive to eat as healthy as possible, but it's the total number that will ultimately make or break you.

Works even for gaining weight. I eat whatever I want whenever. That doesn't mean junk food, but I don't really focus to much on macros or avoiding stuff. But I'm at a slight surplus and keep a low bodyfat.

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003

I don't agree with this. If he is lifting/working out and eating 1000 calories over level (as long as it's 'healthy') he'll be building muscle and will loose weight over the long run rather than starving.

I do think he should cut, but that's not in the cards at this stage.

Rogo

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000

I don't agree with this. If he is lifting/working out and eating 1000 calories over level (as long as it's 'healthy') he'll be building muscle and will loose weight over the long run rather than starving.

I do think he should cut, but that's not in the cards at this stage.

Rogo

OK, I suppose total n00bs can get away with losing fat and building muscle at the same time. The vast majority of experienced lifters would be much better off focusing on one or the other, however.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Sorta related question.

I'm cutting and have a lifting routine going. I've been lifting for about 3 months so far, and cutting seriously for about 1. Should I expect strength gains while cutting? And more importantly, should I keep going heavier and heavier while cutting, or maintain the same routine through the whole thing?

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
OK, I suppose total n00bs can get away with losing fat and building muscle at the same time. The vast majority of experienced lifters would be much better off focusing on one or the other, however.

You're not a noob. You didn't read or comprehend my post.

You'll have to reread it.

Rogo

Kur

Feb 19, 2005

In all honesty I just wanna lose the weight, I don't want huge arms and don't wanna be able to lift 300 pounds, I however don't want be so weak wind will blow me over. Should I focus more on running/biking with a little lifting or half running half lifting?

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
I honestly don't think you can do it without the help of both a doctor and a physical trainer/nutritionist . This a much bigger deal than you think.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000

In all honesty I just wanna lose the weight, I don't want huge arms and don't wanna be able to lift 300 pounds, I however don't want be so weak wind will blow me over. Should I focus more on running/biking with a little lifting or half running half lifting?

Honestly I would visit the board in my sig, register, and post your question there. There are lots of people there who would also be willing to help you.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I'd have to go with everything Special K has had to say. Including, go to the WBB forums and register. Great community there for those wishing to get in shape/bulk/cut/etc.

KoolDrew

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
- Suggestions on time in the gym, hour, 2, 3, 4?

Keep it shorter and giving it your all during that amount of time. An hour is good, maybe even less, maybe more (if doing cardio on the same day, you'd probably end up doing more)

- I know I should mix it up however should I focus more on cardio or more on weight lifting? (I'm not looking for really big muscles just want to drop the weight, but don't wanna have the excess skin)

Diet.

Between the two though, definitely weight lifting. Weight lifting will ensure the majority of what you do lose is fat and not muscle. Also, as a beginner you may even build some muscle, thus raising your metabolism. Cardio will not do either, too much would actually cause more muscle loss, the amount of calories burned are very little, and as your body gets used to it you'll burn even less with more work.

- Any suggested pre-work out things to do (except stretching)

The point of warming up is to lubricate the joints and increase the temperature of soft tissues. A good warm-up would progressively increase body temperature, include all the joints, muscles, and movements involved in the training session. When I warm-up the first thing I like to start with is just 5-10 minutes on the stationary bike or something, and then a quick routine of DYNAMIC stretches. You really don't want to be doing static stretches before a lifting session. Use static stretching outside the gym, like right after your workout or before you go to bed for recovery purposes.

- Suggested minimum miles I should run, or minimum sets of reps I should do?

For running, just do whatever you're comfortable with. Again, the emphasis should be on weight training. To start I'd just do a full body routine consisting of squats, deadlifts, bench press, military press, and pendlay rows (switch between bench and military, and deadlift and rows every day) and just do 15-20 minutes of SS cardio afterwards. Then start incorporating hills on a seperate day or something.

Cardio is great, but emphasis should be on diet and weight training. Don't overdo it at the beginning. Just start slow then start incoorporating other things.

- High weight low reps or low weight high reps? (to start)

High weight, low reps. Obviously "high weight" being subjective. Start light and do what you can handle, but your goal should be to push yourself for about 5 reps. TO start I'd do three sets of everything at 5 reps, except deadlifts. One set would suffice, since you squat as well.

Food link:
http://www.whfoods.com/

KoolDrew

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Sorta related question.

I'm cutting and have a lifting routine going. I've been lifting for about 3 months so far, and cutting seriously for about 1. Should I expect strength gains while cutting? And more importantly, should I keep going heavier and heavier while cutting, or maintain the same routine through the whole thing?

It is definitely possible for a novice lifter to make strength gains while cutting. However, an experienced lifter would usually see strength loss as their cut progresses.

KoolDrew

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004

No matter what your goal is, you would benefit greatly from weight training. Whether it be to get huge, or lose weight, weight training is a very important part of it and emphasis should be placed on it over cardio.

The single most important factor is always diet though. Even if you eat only a tiny bit over your maintenance calories everyday, you will steadily gain weight. Regardless of how "perfect" your training is.