Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
My wife was very successful on the Weight Watchers Momentum Plus Plan. But since WW is a corporation, they wanted to sell new books, so of course they went and destroyed the program to the point they are now telling people not to worry about the scale at all (because the new programs don't work).

Anyways, my wife had a baby 6 months ago, and has been doing My Fitness Pal, but has hit a plateau. She was always more successful with WW momentum than straight calorie counting. I think one reason she was more successful on old WW was due to the fact you had weekly "bonus" and "activity" points, which if she had used any of by the end of the week, so use some on a treat, this gave a lot of incentive to be good on the individual days, but all calorie counting apps I've seen only look at daily.

So the question is, does anyone know a of a website like MFP or Sparkpeople that you can setup to do an old WW plan on? Or at least setup to look at a more weekly basis, as opposed to a daily basis?

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
You can do similar things with calorie counting apps actually. One thing I like to do is keep myself on a relatively high caloric deficit during weekdays, but during weekends I lower the deficit to something relatively minimal. For instance:

Mon-Tues-Wed-Thurs-Fri = 1000 calorie deficit per day

Sat-Sun = 250 calorie deficit per day

That way, weekends feel like a bit of a treat while at the same time I know I'm still losing weight during them, even if it's just a little. Effectively, you'd still be at an average 785 calorie per day deficit, or enough to lose a little over 1.5 pounds per week.

Another way you could do it is to consciously allow yourself to go over your caloric limit on weekends, and then average the overage out over the rest of the week. For instance:

Mon-Tues-Wed-Thurs-Fri = 750 calorie per day deficit

Sat-Sun = allow yourself to go 500 calories over limit each day

Next mon-friday = Spread calorie overage in 200 calorie increments over the next 5 days.

That's effectively a 750 calorie per deficit, or about what you need to lose 1.5 pounds per week. The only real difference from the last method is the mental effect of it. You get to splurge on weekends, and "work off" your splurge during the week, all while continuing to lose weight at about the same pace.

Depending on who you are, one method might work better than another, but I think a combination of the two can make your diet extremely flexible. You never really feel like you're off track no matter what you do. Any splurges can always be accounted for, so even in you greatest moments of weakness you are still technically on your diet.