Weight lifting: My left arm is smaller and weaker than the right arm. What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoeboy

Banned
Apr 20, 2000
Hehe it's gonna be real funny when I wear a sleeveless T and my right arm looks bigger and more built than my left arm. What should I do to go about evening the two?

Last edited by a moderator:

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
Stop slapping the monkey at night with your right hand and use your left hand instead :p

J/K

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Isn't that how it's supposed to be done already though? Stroke with left, click with right.

Hoeboy

Banned
Apr 20, 2000
gittyup, yes but I was asking more along the line of what kind of workout should I do with the left hand, besides masturbation ( ;) gittyup and iamwiz82). most of the exercises I do are compound exercises.

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
Besides, they say it feels like a whole new experience using the other hand! :D

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
On a serious note, forget the bars and go straight for the dumbbells. That way your left arm won't be able to off load any weight to the right arm. Might take some time ot get used to it.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

<< Besides, they say it feels like a whole new experience using the other hand! :D >>

first you sit on it, to numb it. Its called the stranger. What movie is that from?

overdog

Jun 11, 2001
To strengthen your left bicep, try doing single dumbbell curls on an incline bench. This isolates your left bicep and forearm, so you're not using your back to lift the weights.

For your left tricep, lie flat on your back with a dumbbell in your left hand. Extend your arm straight in the air, perpendicular to your body. While using your right hand to stabilize your upper left arm (kinda hold onto your bicep), lower the weight and bend your elbow as low as you can hold up, and then raise your arm up again. Sorry I can't remember the name for this exercise.

NivekC4

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2000
I agree with dcdomain. When I first began working out, my left arm was slightly weaker than my right arm. After doing free weigh excercises, your left arm must get stronger in order to keep up with your right arm. Just make sure you have a spot because at first you will struggle with your left arm, but make sure you don't baby it.

Do the same weight you would do with your right arm. The spotter is key in the beginning :)

NivekC4

Infidelity

Banned
Apr 16, 2001
Whoever said work your left arm more probably doesn't work out, My left arm measures 16 inches and my right arm measures 17 but that is how its supposed to be. Anyway, to get an even look work out the same. Exactly the same weight and reps on both arms. If your left can't do the weight and your right could then don't do the weight at all till both can do it. (Drop to something lower). In time, both arms will be close to equal, however, work out exactly the same on both of them that is the best advice I can give you.

bigd480

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
i know what you mean - my left arm is weaker but they look almost the same... but a 1&quot; diff isn't even noticeable...

the way i see it, my right arm has been and will always be throwing footballs, shooting basketballs, playing pool, etc etc etc so there's not much I can do in the gym to counteract that...

I always do the same weight w/ each arm and just do both to exhaustion... you may want to try to avoid using barbell excercises because then your dominant arm will automatically work harder (because it can work harder) and that'll be counterproductive... it is possible to use the barbell and mentally focus on your weaker arm - using the right one more to support and emphasizing the left one on the actual lifting...

also if you do machines, focus on isometric ones (independent weight on each side)... i didn't do that when i was younger and now my left chest is noticebly smaller/weaker than right...:(

tefunk

Jun 6, 2001
Infidelity is right. When I signed up for 24 hour fitness and had the free consultation that's what the guy told me to do cuz my left arm is smaller than right arm too.

Fiddy

Oct 10, 1999

<< Stop slapping the monkey at night with your right hand and use your left hand instead >>

Man, he walked, no make that ran right into that one. LOL

Hoeboy

Banned
Apr 20, 2000
genocide, if you're gonna crack a joke, make sure a dozen other guys didn't already crack the same joke :p :)

for those that answered seriously, thanks for your tips :)

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
ok, I'll answer seriously from now on :D Just work your arms evenly, your body will bulk up accordingly.

Whispered

Jun 30, 2010
I have had the same problem best thing to do is start using your left arm more (opening doors, turning handles, etc.) you need to make that mental muscle connection in order to be able to workout the muscle more proficiently.

Hope this helps,

Whispered

Please check thread dates before posting. This thread is 9 years old. It's probably a little late to start giving them advice.
Admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Anytime you do exercises that work each arm individually, work your weaker arm first to failure and then do no more than the same number of reps with the stronger arm. This way you let the weaker arm dictate the intensity of the workout so that it will eventually catch up to the stronger arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.