Website/Domain Expiring

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
My Domain/Website from GoDaddy is expiring and I am going to let it, but I am wondering if there is a way to archive those webpages on the domain for sentimental purposes. Thanks in advance for the help.

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
Yup, download your entire directory.

You could even set up your own private web server at home to view them whenever you want.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
I'll walk you through it if you used something other than GoDaddy's applications to build it

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
upon checking the source code...you are shit out of luck. You used their Website Tonight or Blog Builder. You cannot save that stuff.

EDIT: If you got emails about those expiring and do not wish to renew, make sure you log into your acct, go to "Payments and Renewing Items", click on "View Items" on the card/paypal you charged it on, then select the items by clicking the checkmark box to the left, then hit the "Auto Renew" button above and on the right hand side disable auto renew, click save changes.

I only say this b/c so many people don't realize that auto renew is on by default.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: TechAZ
upon checking the source code...you are shit out of luck. You used their Website Tonight or Blog Builder. You cannot save that stuff.

Yep if he used GoDaddy's "website builder" he's probably SOL.

ChAoTiCpInOy - How (what program) did you use to create your website?

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: RossMAN

Source code says "Starfield Technologies" AKA GoDaddy. Also says "Website Tonight 3.3.9. Now I only was there with the new Website Tonight V4+ so to be honest I'm not 100% sure he can't save it, but if I had to be money I would say he's SOL.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN

Source code says "Starfield Technologies" AKA GoDaddy. Also says "Website Tonight 3.3.9. Now I only was there with the new Website Tonight V4+ so to be honest I'm not 100% sure he can't save it, but if I had to be money I would say he's SOL.

Yeah I think it all uses special code which interacts with the server side "Website Tonight". So it's not like he can copy the HTML source code because it's a bunch of jibberish which is unreadable by a non-Website Tonight host.

Sucks.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Originally posted by: ChAoTiCpInOy
I used whatever came with what I bought.

That's usually how it works :)

I thought godaddy was only a registrar, but I never actually stepped on that page in my life. Anyways, just transfer the hosted files to your computer, I'm not seeing a problem here.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
Originally posted by: ChAoTiCpInOy
I used whatever came with what I bought.

That's usually how it works :)

I thought godaddy was only a registrar, but I never actually stepped on that page in my life. Anyways, just transfer the hosted files to your computer, I'm not seeing a problem here.

The problem is he used the application that GoDaddy provides to build his site and you can't copy that to your computer. He didn't use his own software (ala Dreamweaver, Expression Web, etc etc) and FTP/upload the files/content to the server. They have proprietary ownership of the templates and software that's used to build it and unfortunately they don't let you keep what you built (right or wrong).

If you want to be 100% sure (which I think I am), give them a call from the number off their website ChAoTiCpInOy.

Aluvus

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2006
Given that you appear to only have a dozen or so pages total, it seems like using your browser's File -> Save as menu item would be doable. Unless I'm missing something.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
If it's browsable it's getable. You may have to navigate each page though if it's database served.

Are you looking for just data or the actual template too...IMHO the template is something easily duplicated...the data not so.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Originally posted by: alkemyst
If it's browsable it's getable. You may have to navigate each page though if it's database served.

Are you looking for just data or the actual template too...IMHO the template is something easily duplicated...the data not so.

Both.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Wow. GoDaddy is so great. The Quick Blogcast account that I did not know would automatically renew renewed and I emailed GoDaddy and they canceled it and gave me a refund. Great company.

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
You should be able to download a replicated (though not duplicated) version of you website through httrack

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Yeah just do file > save

I like godaddy too.
I set up a real cheap account with them.
10.00 per month .

I was surprised when I got a call from them.
It was one of their representatives asking if I needed any help with the site or had any questions. The guy didn't try to push account extras or anything like that. He just wanted to know if I needed help with html or questions about registering domain names, etc.

You usually don't get that with budget hosting. Thats usually reserved for big accounts.