Webcast series + server usage

bhitney

May 2, 2010
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to drop a note here -- I have a lot of interest in distributed computing and there's an online workshop I'm doing with a few colleagues (we work for Microsoft) where participants essentially deploy a Folding@home client to the cloud, and each user receives access to 20 servers for a few weeks. It can be configured to contribute to whatever team.

It's primarily targeting devs or IT pros. If you're really adventurous, would be great to see different distributed clients -- SETI, etc. It's a bit of a challenge because the clients need to be "xcopy deployable" -- no big installations, etc. and not too many DC clients support that. (Even with FAH, I can't get the SMP client to work.)

High end desktops + GPUs run circles around the individual servers, but even 10 attendees can leverage 200 servers, so it's a great way to get some compute time.

More info here: http://distributed.cloudapp.net -- dev/IT experience likely needed, but happy to help anyone if they're interested.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Welcome to the AT forums 1st :).

Can't say I really know much about this!, but have I got it right you're offering hundreds of servers free to run DC??

bhitney

May 2, 2010
Yep!

We've done 2 sessions, the next one is full -- but the rest have availability. Each user gets up to 20 servers.

bhitney

May 2, 2010
We're picking up the cost -- really as a way to help get the word out on the platform.

bhitney

May 2, 2010
What do you mean when you say that you have a lot of interest in distributed computing?

May we see your stats?

Here are mine, and I'm nobody.

http://stats.free-dc.org/tag.php?name=rabrittain

What do I mean? It's an area of interest for me -- specifically large scale computer systems, sites, etc. Outside of this effort (which are on our page), I don't have "stats" -- sorry. The last "big" DC client I ran regularly (again, outside of this) was SETI probably around 10 years ago.

bhitney

May 2, 2010
Thanks for responding. Honesty is a virtue.

NP. For me, lack of client contribution isn't lack of interest ... I've got one desktop in my house, an old Celeron P4 that is my home server (running WHS) for backups, on about 50% of the time. One media center PC (off, generally), and the rest is a laptop and tablet -- I've been mobile for years. That P4 Celeron (an old Dell SC400 "server") was my last desktop purchase (probably 2002?), and I'm mobile so can't effectively run client apps on the laptops. I guess if I let that ol' Celeron contribute to a DC project it would've added up to something over the years, but likely not worth it.

We got the idea to do this series after I saw a slide from another presentation that noted one case where the cloud is compelling is in tasks that require "parallel processing." (I used that slide, modified a bit, in these webcasts.)

Jim and I sat back and thought what better way to demo that than to build a distributed client app in Azure ... we picked FAH because of compatibility and popularity. We made the case internally and got the free accounts -- it would be too expensive otherwise.

As of right now I see 550 servers online doing this in the Azure datacenters. It could be more, but it's still nice to see.

What I'd like to do is continue the series into next year, changing up the project a bit -- do you know of any DC clients that are xcopy-deployable (meaning a simple exe or folder I can copy and run)? I can't run an installer in the Azure platform, and most I've looked at (including SETI@home and even the FAH SMP client) won't work without it.

rabrittain

Dec 28, 2006
I'm not speaking for the rest of the people on my team: TeAm AnandTech.

A good friend of mine, Rudy Toody, introduced me to distributed computing after we built 4 high-end machines in May of 2006. I thought that it was cool, and as time has passed, I have formulated other opinions.

I like being a part of TeAm Anandtech very much. Whenever I have had a problem with one of my computers, I have been able to address it, and, with the help of the team, all of my computer related problems have been solved. Also, we care about each other on a more personal level. If I have ever had a concern, I have been able to voice it on this forum. At the very least, my days are brighter due to the good sense of humour exhibited by many people here.

In the past 4 years I have built 4 crunchers for myself. Rudy Toody, who lives near me, has helped very much.

By building the computers and by doing whatever was necessary to enable them to run at 100% 24/7, I have learned a lot about what it takes to build and maintain strong machines. For me, this achievement is a source of pride. I have accrued knowledge and expertise in the process. Regarding the electrical bill, each machine costs somewhere between $10 and $13 per month to run. Even though I don't have much money, I pay it gladly. The time and the money are my way over giving back - in appreciation for the knowledge I have gained.

I'm not sure if I would have the same sense of pride if my distributed computing efforts were associated with assets that are locked away somewhere at a corporate installation. For me, the hands on aspect is very important.

bhitney

May 2, 2010
I can see that. I've built and played w/ PCs my whole life (well, since around 1980 when I was 7). I was part of early PC communities, back when they were personally owned BBS systems. On a 300 baud modem.

Not to venture off topic too far, but the sense of community you talk about -- I get that same benefit from being in the developer communities in the southeast. Part of it is knowledge exchange, but a big part of being in the community is helping each other with our developer problems, talk over solutions, and enjoying a pint once in awhile. It's awesome.

I imagine the same is true if you're an auto enthusiast or home theater enthusiast, although of course DC likely has more noble goals!

For many, though, particularly in the development community, the sense of accomplishment is gained in learning a new platform or building a new solution, or helping others do the same. The friendships are a nice, and valued, side effect. I'll be at a code camp this weekend (all volunteer) and the attendees get as much satisfation as the speakers.

I'm not sure if I would have the same sense of pride if my distributed computing efforts were associated with assets that are locked away somewhere at a corporate installation. For me, the hands on aspect is very important.

If you're not a software developer or hobby developer, I'd bet you wouldn't get much satisfaction out of this at all and that's ok. Some folders may strictly be interested in points and that's ok too -- the contribution is still worthwhile. A large number of folders (particularly those in the various team communities) are developers or IT admins, which is why I mentioned here to begin with...

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I'm not speaking for the rest of the people on my team: TeAm AnandTech.

I'd have no problems someone else running F@H for me on dozens of remote machines, I know many of us dream of such mass assimilations :D.
Btw that wouldn't take away the pride from personally owned machines.

I would take up the offer, but whilst I'm quite experienced in home desktop PCs/LANs I know little about the corporate network deployments side, so I'd imagine I'd be out of my depth?......

Last edited:

bhitney

May 2, 2010
I would take up the offer, but whilst I'm quite experienced in home desktop PCs/LANs I know little about the corporate network deployments side, so I'd imagine I'd be out of my depth?......

I guess it depends -- the challenge that we've had in the webcasts is trying to bridge both those new to developement _and_ new to FAH. It's really a lot to accomplish in 2 hours when you think about it.

But, we have resources up on the site (http://distributed.cloudapp.net/Home/Resources) that include at least one past webcast, you can look at the getting started page and decide if it's too complicated. Between the getting started page and the resources page, you can go through it at your own pace.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hmm, I'm not sure, with some time maybe I could.
But - Before attending the @home with Windows Azure online workshop, is this essential? If so what time's it on?

bhitney

May 2, 2010
You need to sign up for the workshop to get the account token. You don't technically have to attend the online workshop (times are listed on the front page towards the bottom) to get the account, but unless you're a dev and already familiar w/ Azure, you'd need to attend or watch one of the prerecorded ones as it walks through the process.