Webcam with PCI Capture Card or Custom?

incallisto

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2000
I am debating about which to buy.

A PCI Capture Card and a Webcam or
a WinTV and a Camcorder? Which will be superior in terms of price/performance? Does anyone have a 3COM Bigpicture PCI? Is it good? :)

After seeing the WinTV and a CCD with rca jack I am tempted to buy that and rig my own. But I am still interested in finding out which is better. If you have a PCI Capture card and a webcam, please post some pics so that I can choose which to buy. :) LOL

frostgiant

Jun 19, 2000
If your planning on using a capture card, how good of video camera do you have? It all depends on the camera's resolution.

incallisto

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2000
I plan on using a Sony DCR-TRV120 Hi8mm Camera that has composite, s-video, and firewire outs. It's a nice camera. I was thinking about using an Intel Camera (composite) instead, because I don't want to damage the camera or have it just lying around (kids might get it). :)

Can you recommend any good low cost cameras that have the listed outputs above?

P.S. All of the USB cameras I have seen are not even worthy of being called a camera IMHO. I would rather not own a camera if it produces such low quality images as the Quickcam or such. :)

frostgiant

Jun 19, 2000
The Sony cam would provide excellent resolution (around 640x480). You would use the S-Video port for higher res obviously. What is the resolution on the Intel cam?

incallisto

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2000
I think the Sony can do 800x600 at 30fps. But the Intel cam does 15fps at 640x480. So that one is a no brainer. :) LOL

Now which capture card should I buy? The Pinnacle or the WinTV?
hmm..

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Anyone know how the DC10 + differs from the MP10?
I know the MP10 really pitches the CD burning angle. Can the same thing be done with the DC10 +?

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I just couldn't stand trying to find an all-in-one card that I could live with. I broke down and bought the MP10. I like the idea of burning video on CDs. However small they might be.
$136.99 shipped, not too bad.

I guess I'll search for just the right GeForce card now.