Web page actions and scrolling causes beeping

Datcat2

May 20, 2010
I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before.

It seems, as far as I can trace the beeping, that scrolling on a web page, certainly going between web pages, as all the pics and ads and titles and stuff load onto page, etc....causes the beep blip back and forth...kinda sounds like morse code....

I have cleaned...fans working, runs fine...just that annoying beeping....something to do with internet pages...

Any ideas what to check?

Thanks in advance!

pf100

Jun 22, 2005
I had this happen to me a couple of months ago. Your video card beeps when the voltage gets too low, so your power supply is either overloaded or going bad. Scrolling web pages somehow makes the card beep in this situation. Replace your power supply before it goes up in smoke and takes your motherboard with it (like mine did).

Last edited:

Datcat2

May 20, 2010
wow...ok...I did notice one fan sticks sometimes....hmmm...you may be on to something....so frustrating...

Seems that anything makes it beep...as I just turned it on I noticed it was even beeping as the wireless modem was finding the connection and stuff...

Thanks...now I gotta try to afford a power supply.

Time to replace this computer anyway. Built is 7 or 8 years ago.

Pentium P4 3.06Ghz
Asus MB
2 GB
Nvidia GeForce 7800Gs
yada yada yada...

Thanks Very Much!!!

Datcat2

May 20, 2010
ok did some more playing arpound and investigating...I said Asus MB...it's Abit Ic7 and with it comes Abit EQ....which monitor and can display your fan speed, temps, and power usage....sooooo.
when this beeping is occurring, the +3.3v power meter turns a little red,,,as a warning....

So now...what uses the +3.3v....the video card....Nvidia, Geforce 7800 GS...

getting closer....

please help
TY

Datcat2

May 20, 2010
I don't think I quite get it.

Seems power supply might be going bad....I don't get why the 3.3v hardware item beeps...hitting lower limit on monitor, I believe. Don't even know which hardware iten(s) use +3.3v...lol.

So did that hardware cause the power supply to go bad?...Is it the hardware item that is bad and not the power supply?....or is the power supply the culpret, and I should replace it, and all the hardware using +3.3v from power supply would be fine?

Such a Noob huh?

pf100

Jun 22, 2005
3.3 volts powers things like the AGP bus, southbridge, northbridge, and ram - maybe the PCI bus too, not sure. Pull all cards except video card and all ram except one and see if 3.3 volts fluctuates while scrolling a web page. If that fixes the fluctuation problem, put one device back at a time until it starts to fluctuate again. What power supply do you have, exactly? I'm still thinking bad or overloaded power supply. A 3GHz P4 uses a lot of power, and so does a 7800gs AGP. An overload on 12 volts could cause the power supply to sacrifice on the 3.3 volt rail, so this is part methodical troubleshooting and part voodoo.

Datcat2

May 20, 2010
thank you...I know this system of trouble shooting...Done it before. Am being lazy I guess, and didnt want to go thru this....but it is one sure way to find a faulty componet, i guess.

ThermalTake Case with 7 fans
Powersupply is Vantec Thermal Technologies VAN-520A
3 fans on this unit...inside back side,bottom and one blowing out the back
2 Kingston KHX3500/512 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7800GS
Also is Older Sound Blaster Audigy 2 card...used for joystick when needed but I think I could take this out completely...not used barely at all. Also has the Componet
for inputs like Mic, AUX in, Midi in/out, Optical in/out, SPDIF....Mounts for usage from front panel...if that makes sense.
Thermal Take Fan controller/monitor in front also. hmmmm...is this still needed?
Sound Sensitive Red Light.
Blue Light inside lower case. for illumination.
Linksys Wireless Network Adapter
Mitsumi CR-487ETE CD Rom Drive
JLMS DVD-ROM LTD-166s CD ROM drive
Western Digital 1600AAJB 160 GB Hard Drive
Maxtor DiamondMax plus 9 120 GB hard drive
ABIT Ic7 Motherboard.

So what ever you might think that might help...guess i can take out a few things...

I have not added any thing new in quite a while.

Like I said earlier...one power supply fan was slowing or stopping sometimes....clean now and working.
One fan seems noisyand slow and should be replaced...

I sure appreciate your help. You seem to know alot...and I thought I did, but not these technical things I guess.
I built this computer 7 or 8 years ago or more...LOL...when 3.06 was the fastest available...when ever that was.

Thnaks again...Dave

pf100

Jun 22, 2005
You said "one power supply fan was slowing or stopping sometimes...."
That's all it takes to overheat and damage the power supply permanently.

Here's a quote from a well known tech website:
"The voltage values of the VAN-520A are very stable all around. there's a little bit of jitter in the 3.3V rail but not enough to affect any of the system devices. The +12V rail which feeds the processor is nice and strong with the system sitting at idle. We experienced no signs of instability when running Prime 95."

But what if the power supply is overheated for extended periods because of a bad fan? That could easily increase the jitter on 3.3 volts that won't get better even if the fan problem is fixed later. The damage is already done.

Quote from another site:
"Power supplies will fail. Sometimes failures are instigated and other times age just does them in. Below is a list of common factors that cause power supplies to give up.

* Electrical (lightning, power spikes, etc.)
* Dirty (Cigarette smoke, house dust, etc.)
* Brown outs
* Overheating and/or ventilation failure

The most common reason for power supply failures is overheating and lightning."

Datcat2

May 20, 2010
WEll...I just gotta say...You are awsome...Hanging with me to get to the bottom of this. Thank you very much. How do you know so much? When I grow up (i'm 53) i wanna be like you!.

Yes the one fan in the back of the power supply, blowing out, was sticking...and sometimes I didnt know for a bit before tapping would free it. I blew all dust out and stuff, but I know how that goes. Yes, I smoke, so that does not help either of us...lol. So guess it is damaged.
I will go shopping.

Thanks again for your help. I was at such a loss.
You deserve a great day. Have one!

pf100

Jun 22, 2005
One thing I know is that different people have different abilites. I'm sure you know things I wouldn't have a clue about. What I know about computers I learned by working at repair shops and one refurb place, and making stuff work when it breaks, and breaking stuff that worked :)
Oh, I'm 51 and I'm still not grown up either.

Datcat2

May 20, 2010
Cool. Maybe you know whree to send my wifes HP dv9000 to get video fixed. Read alot about problems with over heating. Seen videos and stuff about fixing and putting copper heat sinks on cpu and resoldering the videio chip and heat sinking it too....anyway...nervous to do it myself.
Screen goes blank and hard drive spins down....lights are one but nothing happens but a slow , pixelated, fade from grey/ white to black...and then sits there and nothing...
what you think?
Dave

pf100

Jun 22, 2005
Free Warranty Service for dv6000/dv9000 notebooks (remove the spaces in http)
h t t p://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01087277

Last edited: