Web Hosting Question

plastick

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2003
I want to find a web host that costs at most 20 bucks a year with no adds. I only need like 10 megs or so..
I'm making a small website for a business.

Any suggestions?

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: plastick
I want to find a web host that costs at most 20 bucks a year with no adds. I only need like 10 megs or so..

Any suggestions?

ripplehost

plastick

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2003
I dont require much. I just want to make on simple page for a small "mom-pop" resturant.
If anything else, I would like free advertising or something so that people can actually find the site.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

Any suggestions?

RippleHost.com or HostPC.com

Remember, you get what you pay for.

plastick

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2003
I get what I pay for. Good statement.

Its not a big business. Not even an online business. I just want to advertise the resturant with like one single html page.

If the ripplehost deal cant do that, then they are pathetic.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
With them, I get web space AND a .com right?

Nope.

You register domain elsewhere (godaddy.com or namecheap.com) and you also pay for web hosting.

Since it should be a low traffic web site, I will provide free web hosting on my HTTPme.com hosted account assuming it's a simple static web site. So you only register a domain, then PM me and I will setup your web hosting account right now.

WHipLAsh13

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN
With them, I get web space AND a .com right?

Nope.

You register domain elsewhere (godaddy.com or namecheap.com) and you also pay for web hosting.

Since it should be a low traffic web site, I will provide free web hosting on my HTTPme.com hosted account assuming it's a simple static web site. So you only register a domain, then PM me and I will setup your web hosting account right now.

What a guy!!

plastick

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2003
CRAP!

I already bought the 25/year deal from hostpc.com........ how much to get a .com domain name??

OZEE

Feb 23, 2001
GoDaddy has .us and .biz names for 4.95 per year through the end of the month. .com's are 7.95

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: waylman
I like godaddy.com for domain name registration

I suggest either enom (expensive if you don't go through a reseller) or namecheap. GoDaddy's site sucks if you want ease of use, and they're technical support is clueless if you need it (they messed up my nameservers and were clueless when I asked them to recreate them :(.)

plastick

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2003
So I can basically have a site anywhere on the net like say angelfire.com or even my own pc at home and register a domain name for it and then point it at my site whatever its name? So say I get like platick.com to point at angelfire.com/whatever/whatever or 255.25.46.something and when I go to platick.com it will actually go to the other sites? Is that correct?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Well when you register your own domain name (plastick.com) .. you are asked what your name servers will be. In other words, where will this domain name be hosted ? Take RossMan up on his offer - he'll provide the name server information.. it can't get any simpler than that.

What you're talking about in your last post is called forwarding. After registering your domain name (use godaddy.com) you have the option to forward or park (reserve for future use) your domain. So instead of entering name servers, you'll use forwarding to the angelfire address (or your own webhosted IP at home). The downside to the free sites is obviously the required advertisement banners and the downside for a home connection is... well you gotta manage it...

Again, take RossMan up on his kind offer and all you'll have to worry about is the annual domain name renewal (or sign up for multiple years).

plastick

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2003
So is fowarding basically the same as registering the domain name on a pay site hosted by some company(hostpc)?....err whatever

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
So say I get like platick.com to point at angelfire.com/whatever/whatever or 255.25.46.something and when I go to platick.com it will actually go to the other sites? Is that correct?

Why on earth would you ever want to do that? Geocities, Tripod, Angelfire, they all suck compared to having your own web host (HostPC.com for $25/yr).

Sit down, take a deep breath and listen.

Register a domain with GoDaddy.com and NameCheap.com

Your "welcome to HostPC" e-mail should have two DNS name servers listed, login to godaddy.com or namecheap.com select your domain and update the DNS name servers to what's listed in the "welcome" e-mail. They have to be in order, so I suggest you copy/paste them from the e-mail to the domain registrar's web site.

Now contact HostPC.com Support and advise them what your domain is.

Wait 24-48 hours for domain propogation (so you can access yourdomain.com) then you're ready to go.

I would also recommend registering for the
HostPC.com Support Forums which is filled with helpful forum members and is the appropriate place to ask support questions.

plastick

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2003
ok.. Im going to register the name with godaddy and then point it to an html page on a different personal .us site.

plastick

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2003
OK. I ended up buying a domain name from godaddy.com AND I got the one page deal for 14.50/year for a total of 22 bucks. NOW I am trying to design my website, but all I can find to use is the wizard. I dont want to use the wizard, I want to write my own html. The problem is that I cant find where the heck to edit the html. Can someone who uses this same package help me out? I emailed them with my prob, but there is like a 12 hour wait er something..

OZEE

Feb 23, 2001
Can't help ya there, bud... I use godaddy and hostpc for all three of my websites. Dunno how godaddy does their thing, but you'll likely get a "Welcome" email from them with details. I'd bet there's no reason to use the wizard, just do your own html then ftp it in...