Web hosting/Domain question

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
I kind of need a fast answer that's why i posted in off topic.

Want to cancel my web hosting and point my domain to another hosting company, but don't want to loose any emails recieved in the process.

Namecheap.com is the registrar I used for my domain and I could also transfer the DNS back to them so they can forward the emails but it states it can take up to 24 hours for that to happen.

What do you recommend.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Does your new web host offer the same control panel (cPanel/DA)?

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
no cpanel. i'm going back to 1and1 with the free 3 year deal. I still have it until november 2006.

I have the sonataweb package which you recommended me to get, but i have not used almost anything on it and its becoming an extra 6 dollars wasted.

I think i should be able to point the dns to 1and1 and it should take less that 30 minutes to take effect, but i'm still waiting on confirmation from sonataweb if i can do that before they cancel the account.

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Good luck :)

thanks i'm going to do it right now.. Terry from Sonataweb just confirmed that i can move the DNS at anytime.

Edit: actually oops i have to think about this first. I'm at work and the emails recieved today are still on the sonataweb servers must save them first since i pull them off at home with outlook.

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
So i made the changes but i guess the DNS servers are still getting updated because both email and the website are still going to sonataweb.

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Jnetty99
So i made the changes but i guess the DNS servers are still getting updated because both email and the website are still going to sonataweb.

Give it up to 24 hours, it also depends a lot on your ISP.

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: DeviousTrap

Give it up to 24 hours, it also depends a lot on your ISP.
I moved two names over, the first one took like 10 minutes and this second one which is the one with the email addresses is taking longer...

i guess lots of emails will be lost in cyberspace...

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Dude, good luck. Seriously, do you really want the headaches that 1 and 1 will give you?

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: amdskip
Dude, good luck. Seriously, do you really want the headaches that 1 and 1 will give you?

Honestly 1and1 has never given me a headache... i dont use it that much. I use it for file storage and a blog thats it.

i'm barely using like 20 megabytes.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

thanks i'm going to do it right now.. Terry from Sonataweb just confirmed that i can move the DNS at anytime.

Edit: actually oops i have to think about this first. I'm at work and the emails recieved today are still on the sonataweb servers must save them first since i pull them off at home with outlook.

I would have downloaded ALL your emails with Outlook first.

Then changed DNS name servers.

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003

I would have downloaded ALL your emails with Outlook first.

Then changed DNS name servers.

I did, i grabbed everything and saved them, but anything after 3pm... i dont know.