Weather.com says Hell has frozen over.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Bally to Give Refunds, Reform Advertising
Bally, a nationwide operator of commercial fitness centers, agreed to change its sales and advertising practices "after hundreds of consumers complained that deceptive ads and high-pressure sales tactics tricked them into signing long-term contracts and misrepresented the total price of the memberships," Spitzer's office said in a statement.
:Q

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
$19 down, $19 a month sounded great. But then no one mentioned it was 72 months of payments. I'm glad I didn't join.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
My roomate called about that deal and was surprised at how far from a $19/$19 deal it actually was. Good to hear they're catching hell for it.

Rob

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I went into a Bally's with my girlfriend thinking of joining. You'd think I was trying to buy a car with the pressure they laid on. They were trying to get me to sign up for this long contract plus personal training, etc. It would have been lik $75 a month. Glad I said no.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Jesus, that is pretty deceptive. On the other hand, there are plenty of idiots that want to sign long-term contracts (though not THAT long) because they think "oh if I sign up for a year that will motivate me to go." And then they go three to four times at most and never again.

On the bright side, it keeps prices lower and the gym less crowded for those of us that actually use our gym membership. ;)

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Descriptive thread titles like this one make me wonder how anyone ever reposts anything around here!
rolleye.gif

:p