Weak in the knees Italian envoy to CPA hits the bricks . . .

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
5,446
0
76
Well it is certainly going much better than if we let the damn UN run things.
 

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
1,448
0
0
Who knows, TnitWit. If the U.N. had any power to enforce its decisions, it might be wonderful. At least they wouldn't have decided to invade Iraq -- to establish democracy and root out weapons of mass destruction.
 

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
11,489
0
0
Originally posted by: Whitling
Who knows, TnitWit. If the U.N. had any power to enforce its decisions, it might be wonderful. At least they wouldn't have decided to invade Iraq -- to establish democracy and root out weapons of mass destruction.
Heh heh....like say for example, enforcing all those silly resolutions following the end of the Gulf War?
 

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
11,489
0
0
Originally posted by: Whitling
Heh, heh. Like enforcing all those resolutions against Israel's conduct.
Just curious, how many resolutions have been passed condemning the palestinian conduct? Hmm?

My question is, who is next in line to chair the human rights comission? Maybe China?

The UN, in it's past and present form, is a joke.
 

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
13,136
1
0
Originally posted by: alchemize
Originally posted by: Whitling
Heh, heh. Like enforcing all those resolutions against Israel's conduct.
Just curious, how many resolutions have been passed condemning the palestinian conduct? Hmm?

My question is, who is next in line to chair the human rights comission? Maybe China?

The UN, in it's past and present form, is a joke.
It's such a joke that we enforce their resolutions for them?
 

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
1,448
0
0
Alchemize. Let's start with a more nuetral forum. Let's take family law. In family law, a parents right to visit a child is not dependent on whether that parent pays child support. Child support is handled as one thing, visitation is handled as a completely separate thing. You mentioned "those silly resolutions at the end of the Gulf War." I extended the argument by citing the complete lack of enforcement against Israel. Please, don't give me the "What about the Palestinians?" You sound like my eight year old. You cited one breach that had been ignored. I cited another. Let's not get into "What about the Palestinians."

I tell you truly, Israel's dealings with the Palestinians hurt Israel more than they hurt the Palestinians. When Israel was founded, they had the moral high ground. Their treatment of the Palestinians has reduced them to the moral status of South Africa at its worst.
 

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
8,911
0
0
Originally posted by: alchemize
Originally posted by: Whitling
Heh, heh. Like enforcing all those resolutions against Israel's conduct.
Just curious, how many resolutions have been passed condemning the palestinian conduct? Hmm?

My question is, who is next in line to chair the human rights comission? Maybe China?

The UN, in it's past and present form, is a joke.

But any resolutions that this 'joke' passes damn well better not be ignored or we'll go wage war. Unless of course the resolutions concern Israel...the they can, and should, be ignored.
 

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
11,489
0
0
Originally posted by: Whitling
Alchemize. Let's start with a more nuetral forum. Let's take family law. In family law, a parents right to visit a child is not dependent on whether that parent pays child support. Child support is handled as one thing, visitation is handled as a completely separate thing. You mentioned "those silly resolutions at the end of the Gulf War." I extended the argument by citing the complete lack of enforcement against Israel. Please, don't give me the "What about the Palestinians?" You sound like my eight year old. You cited one breach that had been ignored. I cited another. Let's not get into "What about the Palestinians."

I tell you truly, Israel's dealings with the Palestinians hurt Israel more than they hurt the Palestinians. When Israel was founded, they had the moral high ground. Their treatment of the Palestinians has reduced them to the moral status of South Africa at its worst.
You were making the premise that the UN should enforce it's resolutions. I pointed out that the UN doesn't enforce it's resolutions. You brought up the example of other resolutions that are not enforced. I brought up the total lack of neutrality on those resolutions. What have we learned?

1) The UN doesn't enforce resolutions.
2) The UN is biased
3) The UN has no power.


You once again show your liberal streak a mile wide when you fail to look at both sides of the story. Isreal still retains it's moral high ground. They've become heavy handed, but indiscriminate purposeful targeting of civilians and only civilians is still not on their list of tactics, while that is the primary tactic of the PA.

Actually it's like one guy up to his eyeballs in a cesspool, the other guy up to his knees, saying they both stink. But which one would you give a hug to? ;)

 

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
1,448
0
0
Alchemize redux says "You once again show your liberal streak a mile wide when you fail to look at both sides of the story. Isreal still retains it's moral high ground. They've become heavy handed, but indiscriminate purposeful targeting of civilians and only civilians is still not on their list of tactics, while that is the primary tactic of the PA."

Al, can I get some of the stuff you're smoking? It must be good! I did like your concluding line, however. Neither of the parties is very huggable. But, trying to avoid rhetoric. What weapons other than suicide bombing are available to the Palestinians? Al, they're out of Vaseline. They're becoming irritated.

 

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
13,136
1
0
Whatever Alchemize, you can dismiss the UN all you want, but don't forget that at least half the basis for our invasion of Iraq was based on UN Resolutions. The other half was a lame attempt to use "self defense" in that Iraq was locked and loaded with their WMDs.
 

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
11,489
0
0
Originally posted by: Whitling
Alchemize redux says "You once again show your liberal streak a mile wide when you fail to look at both sides of the story. Isreal still retains it's moral high ground. They've become heavy handed, but indiscriminate purposeful targeting of civilians and only civilians is still not on their list of tactics, while that is the primary tactic of the PA."

Al, can I get some of the stuff you're smoking? It must be good! I did like your concluding line, however. Neither of the parties is very huggable. But, trying to avoid rhetoric. What weapons other than suicide bombing are available to the Palestinians? Al, they're out of Vaseline. They're becoming irritated.
OH, they aren't well armed. That justifies targeting civilians with suicide bombers then? Nice logic.

On that basis, then Israel DOES have lots of weapons. And since the PA has taken off the gloves, any target is legitimate, then Israel should just go ahead and commence carpet bombing? It's war, just one side is winning and one side is losing. Your logic, not mine.

 

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
11,489
0
0
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Whatever Alchemize, you can dismiss the UN all you want, but don't forget that at least half the basis for our invasion of Iraq was based on UN Resolutions. The other half was a lame attempt to use "self defense" in that Iraq was locked and loaded with their WMDs.
That was a mistake. Bush should have never even gone to the UN. It gained us nothing, it's nothing but a bully-pulpit for every mini-dictator out there. We should withdraw from the UN.

 

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
1,448
0
0
Al, remove your head. Look around. Israel is a government. The organizations blowing up Israeli civilians are just that, organizations. Not a national government. There is a difference. A national government should not descend to criminal acts.
 

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
11,489
0
0
Originally posted by: Whitling
Al, remove your head. Look around. Israel is a government. The organizations blowing up Israeli civilians are just that, organizations. Not a national government. There is a difference. A national government should not descend to criminal acts.
Look around Whit, it's civil war over there. The Arabs and Palestinians want Isreal wiped off the face of the planet. The "organizations" you refer to are sposored by other governments. People get killed in a war. Terrible but true. What if native americans were blowing themselves up at wal-mart in oklahoma, demanding their land back? How would we respond?

 

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
13,136
1
0
Originally posted by: alchemize
Originally posted by: Whitling
Al, remove your head. Look around. Israel is a government. The organizations blowing up Israeli civilians are just that, organizations. Not a national government. There is a difference. A national government should not descend to criminal acts.
Look around Whit, it's civil war over there. The Arabs and Palestinians want Isreal wiped off the face of the planet. The "organizations" you refer to are sposored by other governments. People get killed in a war. Terrible but true. What if native americans were blowing themselves up at wal-mart in oklahoma, demanding their land back? How would we respond?
Frankly, I'd say Wal-Mart got what it deserved! ;) :p
 

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
13,136
1
0
Originally posted by: alchemize
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Whatever Alchemize, you can dismiss the UN all you want, but don't forget that at least half the basis for our invasion of Iraq was based on UN Resolutions. The other half was a lame attempt to use "self defense" in that Iraq was locked and loaded with their WMDs.
That was a mistake. Bush should have never even gone to the UN. It gained us nothing, it's nothing but a bully-pulpit for every mini-dictator out there. We should withdraw from the UN.
Isn't that Alchemize cut & paste BS #1441-B? I knew I smelled something foul...
 

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
11,489
0
0
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: alchemize
Originally posted by: Whitling
Al, remove your head. Look around. Israel is a government. The organizations blowing up Israeli civilians are just that, organizations. Not a national government. There is a difference. A national government should not descend to criminal acts.
Look around Whit, it's civil war over there. The Arabs and Palestinians want Isreal wiped off the face of the planet. The "organizations" you refer to are sposored by other governments. People get killed in a war. Terrible but true. What if native americans were blowing themselves up at wal-mart in oklahoma, demanding their land back? How would we respond?
Frankly, I'd say Wal-Mart got what it deserved! ;) :p
ok .....STARBUCKS in SAN FRANCISCO ;)

 

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
10,737
0
0
Terrible but true. What if native americans were blowing themselves up at wal-mart in oklahoma, demanding their land back? How would we respond?
No self-respecting Native American wants any part of OK . . . now Manhattan . . .
 

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
1,448
0
0
AlChemize. How well has bashing Arabs worked out for Israel. As you probably know, the head of the army and then four high place Shin Bet officials have come out publicly against Sharon. Some fairness with the Palestinians might have gone a long way.
 

AAman

Golden Member
May 29, 2001
1,432
0
0
what UN resolutions are you referring to? what the General Assembly passes is without
meaning, only the Security Council is important, and most of its res. are just
like non-binding resolutions put out by the House and Senate, or lack enforcement
provisions
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY