We Were Heroes Once

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
From the NY Times:

There is a piece of land along the coast an hour south of Rome that is a shrine to America. It is a lovely piece of land, well designed and well maintained, that spreads out over nearly 80 acres. It is big enough so that the men who do such things need seven days to cut its grass.

It is the Sicily-Rome American Cemetery and Memorial. Buried here are 7,862 Americans who died in combat in this country during World War II. Each lies buried with a marble headstone that is cleaned twice a year, by hand, with pumice stone and soap. There is a man who trims the hedges every morning. Another roams the grounds to look for weeds.

Angelo Perna is the chief gardener. He is deeply tanned, with a face that is the color of a football. His hands are dark and rough, and he is missing an incisor from his bottom row of teeth.

Outside the office is a logbook in which visitors have praised the cemetery's beauty and the sacrifice for which it stands. It is only natural that visitors to such a place would say good things about America. Things like: "Thank you." "Thanks to the American people." "Thanks."

Back among the graves, Mr. Perna was spraying weed-killer on the grass behind the stone of Private Anthony De Cillis, 157th Infantry, 45th Division, killed on May 27, 1944. Down the aisle were other men and boys from Oklahoma, Florida, Michigan, Ohio. Mr. Perna stopped and said: "They have been buried here so long, they are Italians now."

Here's to Private Anthony De Cillis, who gave his "last full measure of devotion", may he never be forgotten!

rose.gif

Passions

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
Cool story. Hopefully several years from now, Iraqi's will have the same gratitude.
rose.gif

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Passions, don't count on the Iraqis having any gratitude (and I don't blame them for being angry). I believe the Americans who served in WWII were a different breed. The vast majority served honorably. Today's US soldiers, because of their actions, will be remembered as perverts and agressors by the Iraqis.

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Infohawk
Passions, don't count on the Iraqis having any gratitude (and I don't blame them for being angry). I believe the Americans who served in WWII were a different breed. The vast majority served honorably. Today's US soldiers, because of their actions, will be remembered as perverts and agressors by the Iraqis.

It pains me to know that you and others like you hold such a low opinion of today's military because of the actions of a few who do not represent the majority coupled with a slanted media who will NEVER show you the images of the good work and humanitarian effors of "Todays US soldiers". In fact the men and women I served with were some of the most honorable and selfless persons I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. I, for one, will remember a few individual criminals for their actions. On the other hand my opinion of "Todays US Soldiers" will stand in stark contrast of the aforementioned "criminals".

Staying on-topic, this was a good read
rose.gif

Zephyr106

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by: JoLLyRoGer

It pains me to know that you and others like you hold such a low opinion of today's military because of the actions of a few who do not represent the majority coupled with a slanted media who will NEVER show you the images of the good work and humanitarian effors of "Todays US soldiers". In fact the men and women I served with were some of the most honorable and selfless persons I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. I, for one, will remember a few individual criminals for their actions. On the other hand my opinion of "Todays US Soldiers" will stand in stark contrast of the aforementioned "criminals".

rose.gif

Oopps, he didn't say that he thinks of the US military in a certain way. He said that Iraqis will remember the US military in certain ways.

Zephyr

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: JoLLyRoGer

rose.gif

Zephyr106 is correct. I never discussed my opinion of the US military. Hence, I'm not sure if your post is relevant. All I said is that I do not blame the Iraqis for being angry. If you saw pictures of occupation forces in America abusing American men and women and you knew that around 10,000 AMericans (three times as much as died in 9/11) had been killed by a war started by the occupiers, would you see them as friends or foes? I think you would remember them in an angry way if you are honest with yourself. Also, opinion polls show antipathy towards the US in Iraq. This is really a different situation than with Italy or France.