We used to do Masters threads... maybe we'll do one this year?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Augusta Georgia is hot and humid as hell during summer. You wouldn't want to play golf there between May and September

Besides, it's only 1 of 4 major championships on the PGA tour. The others are the PGA Championship, the US Open, and the Open Championship.

ftfy

Grew up in Augusta…humid and hotter’n hell most of the time there.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
whew, scottie's bush shot on 18 is making this more interesting. if he gets a par it would be a miracle.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
this.

golf is for ecoterrorists, racists, fascists, and apparently also brianmanahan for some reason.

the effect on the environment is very big when a place does not naturally have the water to maintain that kind of grass year round. It wasn't inherently racist, it just is mostly exclusive to white people because it does take up more resources and money to play - the racist thing is how those resources are not distributed fairly in general.

George Carlin does a great bit on golf that you will definitely like if you haven't heard it. Golf courses are where we should build housing for the homeless! Carlin is the GOAT though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
the effect on the environment is very big when a place does not naturally have the water to maintain that kind of grass year round. It wasn't inherently racist, it just is mostly exclusive to white people because it does take up more resources and money to play - the racist thing is how those resources are not distributed fairly in general.

George Carlin does a great bit on golf that you will definitely like if you haven't heard it. Golf courses are where we should build housing for the homeless! Carlin is the GOAT though.

lol, the golf course i play at has a river running right through it so there's no shortage of water

the average income of people who play there is probably like 50$k. dudes out there playing after working at the factories or farms, drinking beer and some of them going shirtless.

no homeless people here though, rural areas don't build shelters. and the area demographic is like %98.5 white so it is naturally gonna be similar at the course.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I find watching golf in the background on TV/internet relaxing although I'm a terrible player myself. (aside from my putting which is decent)

Golf is more fun to watch live IMO though.... I used to get free passes to multiple big tourneys in Westchester County NY and to the former Hartford Open (now called TPC River Highlands) every year.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
lol, the golf course i play at has a river running right through it so there's no shortage of water

the average income of people who play there is probably like 50$k. dudes out there playing after working at the factories or farms, drinking beer and some of them going shirtless.

no homeless people here though, rural areas don't build shelters. and the area demographic is like %98.5 white so it is naturally gonna be similar at the course.
If you read my first sentence I said it makes a big impact on areas without the water source nor the environment that can sustain grass needed year round. Obviously if you have a water source right there and the right climate, I wasn't referencing every golf course

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
If you read my first sentence I said it makes a big impact on areas without the water source nor the environment that can sustain grass needed year round. Obviously if you have a water source right there and the right climate, I wasn't referencing every golf course

yeah it's a pretty big river. rarely it'll go a few weeks without raining in the summer, and it gets low enough that we can finally check it for golf balls that fell in there. my cousin found 4 dozen free balls in 15 minutes once!

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
holy crap! that chip-in by scottie on 3 after it looked like he was gonna blow it seems like it could really deflate cam

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
nothing better than having a 5 shot lead, so that blowing a couple 5 footers isn't a big deal LOL

good job scottie