We somehow both picked the same topics for our presentation and the other got mad

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Ok this is the deal.

I'm taking a 600 level IT course for my Master's degree.

One of our assignments was to pick an IT related topic and present it.

The professor didn't do any kind of verification on who had what topic. I end up picking RFID. Supposedly another student picked RFID as well. We also coincidently end up presenting the same day.

So on that day (yesterday) I found out she was doing the same topic as me and she was presenting that day.

I guess it kind of made me a little angry because people would think we were cheating off each other or something.

Anyway when the professor asked who wanted to do their presentation I purposely volunteered to do it first.

I had a PowerPoint of around 10 slides and spoke more from my mind rather from the PowerPoint. I knew a lot of information about the topic and had lots of pictures and my presentation was overall real structured. I also took it further going into Ethics.

Well as I was doing my presentation I noticed the girl who was supposed to go next was making a bunch of faces. It was almost like she was jealous or something.

So anyway she went after me. Her PowerPoint was OK but she pretty much read a sentence from each and every slide. It didn't seem she had knowledge about the subject and when it came to question and answer she couldn't fully answer one of her questions and gave wrong information about the other. She couldn't draw from examples or explain the topic outside of the PowerPoint.

So now I notice she is no longer talking to me anymore.

How should I approach this???????

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
You've made an enemy. Now you must watch your back so she doesn't slit your throat.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Try not to make any racist comments to her. It might make it worse. :thumbsup:

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Why should you approach this situation in any manner? You were free to choose the topic, you did all the research yourself, and you did not collaborate with her. Why should you feel guilty?

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: paulney
Is she black by any chance?

She actually is..... But from Nigeria.

It's just the thing is when your in such a small class size such as in the Master's program you need to make freinds. It's just a general idea to have some sort of network. Making enemies with one person will lead to another thing.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: AnyMal
Why should you approach this situation in any manner? You were free to choose the topic, you did all the research yourself, and you did not collaborate with her. Why should you feel guilty?

I have a small feeling that she got the topic from me. Towards the beginning of the course he explained this on the syllabus. I started my PowerPoint at that time (1st or 2nd day of class). I told someone of my topic. Possibly in the open and she might of picked up on it.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
What makes you think you should have to approach it at all? Why do you care? You thoroughly PWNT her from the sound of it. You'd have made her look stupid either way regardless of if you had gone before her or after her. Sounds like she's just a sore loser. I'd rub it in every opportunity I got if I were you. But I'm a big fvckin' A-hole. She needs to learn the real world is competitive, IMO.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: steppinthrax

I have a small feeling that she got the topic from me. Towards the beginning of the course he explained this on the syllabus. I started my PowerPoint at that time (1st or 2nd day of class). I told someone of my topic. Possibly in the open and she might of picked up on it.

she might have picked it up, not she might of picked it up.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Turin39789

she might have picked it up, not she might of picked it up.

:cookie:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
She sounds like a straight-shooter with upper management written all over her.

alrocky

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2001
Originally posted by: paulney
Is she black by any chance?
She actually is..... But from Nigeria.

It's just the thing is when your in such a small class size such as in the Master's program you need to make freinds. It's just a general idea to have some sort of network. Making enemies with one person will lead to another thing.
So many possible jokes with her being from Nigeria...

For the next party you both attend, call her up beforehand and ask her what she's wearing and if she asks why tell her you just want to make sure you both aren't wearing the same dress or outfit.