"...we party no more and no harder than any other school"

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
wasn't this to spook parents and possible incoming freshmen who were doing a college visit?

Sep 3, 2007
Originally posted by: moshquerade
wasn't this to spook parents and possible incoming freshmen who were doing a college visit?

Yes, I believe it was a tongue-in-cheek characterization of Dartmouth's highly publicized reputation as the "drinking Ivy."

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Meh, those Ivy League pansies don't know the first thing about drinking. ;) :p

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Rastus
Originally posted by: nkgreen
Meh, those Ivy League pansies don't know the first thing about drinking. ;) :p
Ted Kennedy would beg to differ.

damn straight....they can even distance swim when shitfaced

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
i haven't laughed that hard at a youtube video in a long time.

Those of you who hated it - why?

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
man this is old news... i believe it was on one of the sports shows once...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
That was hilarious. Imagine being on the Tour, Fresh out of High School, scared/excited about going to College/University, then in the middle of an otherwise boring Tour this breaks out around you. Brilliant!

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Hah! As an alum, I enjoyed that. Mighty slow until the end though. I recommend jumping to about halfway through it if you're going to watch.

residualsquare: those articles you linked have little to do with academics. It's a pissing match over memberships on the board of trustees. I get much annoying junk mail about that crap.

andylawcc: Ugh, no! Bush is a Yalie (thanks, Parasitic). Cool people like Dr. Seuss and Mr. Rogers went to Dartmouth.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I have three friends who went Darmouth, classes of 2001 and 2002. All brilliant people.

Yes, they drink a lot up there, they play hard up there, but from what I've seen, they work even harder.

Sep 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Dirigible
those articles you linked have little to do with academics. It's a pissing match over memberships on the board of trustees. I get much annoying junk mail about that crap.

Yes, but those chosen to sit on the board have quite a bit to do with academics, no? From what I've heard, the administration wants to steer the college in a direction such that Dartmouth would more directly compete with its larger and better known Ivy peers, while the elected alums, who often know significantly less about governing a school, are trying to preserve Dartmouth's rather unique undergraduate experience possibly at the expense of the school's overall reputation. I doubt such outrage would be sparked over mere power squabbling.

Regardless, I do sometimes wish that the people at my alma mater had taken themselves less seriously. It does seem that kids at Dartmouth really enjoy their time there and from what I've seen they don't concern themselves overly with prestige or rankings.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Originally posted by: residualsquare
Originally posted by: Dirigible
those articles you linked have little to do with academics. It's a pissing match over memberships on the board of trustees. I get much annoying junk mail about that crap.

Yes, but those chosen to sit on the board have quite a bit to do with academics, no? From what I've heard, the administration wants to steer the college in a direction such that Dartmouth would more directly compete with its larger and better known Ivy peers, while the elected alums, who often know significantly less about governing a school, are trying to preserve Dartmouth's rather unique undergraduate experience possibly at the expense of the school's overall reputation. I doubt such outrage would be sparked over mere power squabbling.

Regardless, I do sometimes wish that the people at my alma mater had taken themselves less seriously. It does seem that kids at Dartmouth really enjoy their time there and from what I've seen they don't concern themselves overly with prestige or rankings.

I think you're correct. My not-well-thought-through original reply is based on my annoyance at all the junk mail I get. The squabble started when TJ Rogers got himself voted on through mailing every alum at (I believe) his personal expense. The tone of his and others' communications make it just seem like a childish power fight.

I did have fun in NH. :)

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
If you weren't laughing after that video then you clearly either didn't go to college or were a complete loser and never went out

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
If you weren't laughing after that video then you clearly either didn't go to college or were a complete loser and never went out

QFT, I don't get why this upsets anyone.

If I was one of the kids in that group touring, I would honestly think that was the funniest thing I had ever seen.