"We never give out tracking numbers, but we'll call you and tell you the delivery date." <--WUWT?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I purchased $450 worth of springs/shocks for my truck from a well-known and respected Internet dealer. They are actually a B&M store in Cali, but they have a nice website with e-ordering.

Well, I got the confirmation email from them last week saying "thanks for ordering, it has shipped" but no tracking number. They are closed Sat/Sun and I got around to calling them this morning.

The guy was polite, but said "Sir, it is our policy to not give out tracking numbers, but if you give me a little while, I'll look it up and call you back and tell you when it's supposed to be delivered." What choice did I have? I meekly uttered "Mmm'kay." and hung up.

Why would they do this? I'm not concerned about being ripped off...they are too huge for that. What's up with that? (WUWT? :confused: )

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
$450?? thats a ton of dough. That would get me 4.5" including spring pack, not AAL.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Yeah, but it's top of the line stuff; Old Man Emu (OME). Two coils and four shocks. (My Trooper has torsion bars in the front that you just crank up to make the front level w/the rear.)

It's almost impossible to find parts for the Trooper. One of the most popular and capable SUV's on the road today is wildly popular in Europe, but not so here in the States.

Anyway, why would they not give me a tracking number? Unless they are BSing me and havent' really shipped it yet?

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
I purchased $450 worth of springs/shocks for my truck from a well-known and respected Internet dealer. They are actually a B&M store in Cali, but they have a nice website with e-ordering.

Well, I got the confirmation email from them last week saying "thanks for ordering, it has shipped" but no tracking number. They are closed Sat/Sun and I got around to calling them this morning.

The guy was polite, but said "Sir, it is our policy to not give out tracking numbers, but if you give me a little while, I'll look it up and call you back and tell you when it's supposed to be delivered." What choice did I have? I meekly uttered "Mmm'kay." and hung up.

Why would they do this? I'm not concerned about being ripped off...they are too huge for that. What's up with that? (WUWT? :confused: )

When I orderred a digital camera from a very popular place on-line they told me the same thing. There reasoning was that if someone got your tracking number they could re-direct the shipment. I don't know if this is true but I ended up having to fax them a copy of an ID before they would give me the tracking number.

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Yeah, but it's top of the line stuff; Old Man Emu (OME). Two coils and four shocks. (My Trooper has torsion bars in the front that you just crank up to make the front level w/the rear.) It's almost impossible to find parts for the Trooper. One of the most popular and capable SUV's on the road today is wildly popular in Europe, but not so here in the States. Anyway, why would they not give me a tracking number? Unless they are BSing me and havent' really shipped it yet?

If you want to complain about hard parts to find, try finding parts for a 69 Land Crusier:) Talk bout a PITA. Good luck on your project.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Desslok
Yeah, but it's top of the line stuff; Old Man Emu (OME). Two coils and four shocks. (My Trooper has torsion bars in the front that you just crank up to make the front level w/the rear.) It's almost impossible to find parts for the Trooper. One of the most popular and capable SUV's on the road today is wildly popular in Europe, but not so here in the States. Anyway, why would they not give me a tracking number? Unless they are BSing me and havent' really shipped it yet?

If you want to complain about hard parts to find, try finding parts for a 69 Land Crusier:) Talk bout a PITA. Good luck on your project.

:Q:Q:Q Is that like a "P40" or "PT40" or something like that? I know that early Toyotas had numerical designations. They are awesome trucks...indestructible, pretty much. :)

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSohmer

When I orderred a digital camera from a very popular place on-line they told me the same thing. There reasoning was that if someone got your tracking number they could re-direct the shipment. I don't know if this is true but I ended up having to fax them a copy of an ID before they would give me the tracking number.

Thanks Dave. That does make sense. They were super-paranoid w/their online ordering process as well. After you place the order, the next day you get an email asking you "you ordered this, this and that. Do you agree that this is what you want and you will pay the full amount of $xxx.xxx?" If you do not respond to this email, your order will be cancelled."

No messin' around! :Q Your explanation makes sense, Dave.

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Desslok
Originally posted by: MichaelD Yeah, but it's top of the line stuff; Old Man Emu (OME). Two coils and four shocks. (My Trooper has torsion bars in the front that you just crank up to make the front level w/the rear.) It's almost impossible to find parts for the Trooper. One of the most popular and capable SUV's on the road today is wildly popular in Europe, but not so here in the States. Anyway, why would they not give me a tracking number? Unless they are BSing me and havent' really shipped it yet?
:Q:Q:Q Is that like a "P40" or "PT40" or something like that? I know that early Toyotas had numerical designations. They are awesome trucks...indestructible, pretty much. :)

Well all the axles are 1 ton if I remember correctly, the only problem I have with it is that it has drum brakes on all four corners and this truck will be used on some pretty hairy trails in the four corners region. My friend put in a Chevy 350 that has been "upgraded":) to a 390 basically, has a NV3500 tranny and I think he is going with the Atlas II T-case so it will be pretty much bullet proof.

It is a FJ40

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Hey cool. It sounds like one bulletproof rig! And yes, I agree; drums suck. :(

Well, almost three hours later and they still haven't called. I'll give them another couple of hours and I'll buzz them again. Screw'em if they think I'm a PITA; they already have my $$$!