We need more modern type fps shooters

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Modelworks
I would like to play a fps that is based on colonial era weapons.
Muskets, cannons, bow and arrow, swords,rockets, horses, supply wagons etc.

example:
You have to hold a point from the british.
You fire your musket and miss, takes 20 secs to reload so you can either take the time to reload or switch to a knife or baynoet.
While thats going on your enemy you were shooting at can either use his musket, if he hasn't already, or charge you with his sword.

I think it would be fun to slow down gameplay.
Right now it seems fps are only trying to speed up the game and that doesn't leave alot of room for strategy.

They called it Battlegrounds 2 and it was a mod for Half Life 2.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Originally posted by: tigersty1e
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX
Originally posted by: tigersty1e
Imagine the gameplay of Call of Duty with modern warfare.

I believe you mean like Call of Duty 4? :roll:

We have all these WWII shooter but not enough modern battle fps shooters.
I think that barrel's pretty much tapped out. The thing now is modern shooters.

No, I mean imagine the original Call of Duty with modern warfare.

Modern warfare is an after thought to these games. COD franchise is a WWII franchise. Imagine if it was a modern warfare franchise.

Ha. Good job reading: go check out CoD:4. Seriously.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: exdeath
I've had enough of FPS. Give me a game that can rival Xenogears in story and soul shock.

"It was the hull of a colossal spacecraft..." still gives me chills.

But as long as we are going to talk about FPS, how about some co-op? I don't mean Doom or Serious Sam or Quake II or even Halo style co-op where you just add more guns and enemies and play the same tired single player game... I mean games like System Shock 2, Half-life, Resident Evil, Metroid Prime, Legend of Zelda, that are designed around co-op play from the very start.

Games that play like epic single player games with puzzles and plot,

I can totally imagine playing a Zelda or Metroid style game where two+ players have to work together to solve one of the dungeons, etc.

I'm soooooo tired of 'MULTI PLAYER SUPPORT!' == death match in 3 arena maps and game play that has no bearing on the single player game whatsoever.

Playing System Shock 2 with the multiplayer patch was soooo damn fun and burned many a weekend, and that game wasn't even really made with multiplayer in mind, but there were enough playing styles in single player mode that it worked with two or three players huddle together in the dark. Imagine if the maps themselves were designed for co-op puzzle solving from the very start...

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles on GCN was kinda like that. If you had the steep prerequisites, it was a lot of fun.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
The beginning of Far Cry was cool. I keep hearing that Far Cry 2 will be mostly humans and it will be modern.

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
There are already plenty of modern FPS. I want more old fashioned fantasy games like Hexen and Thief.

Definetely! The last magic fps i can remember playing was wheel of time.

Also how about Rune (although that was a third person)?

VERTIGGO

Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Laminator
I'm guessing when you say "modern", you mean "military". Far Cry, for example, is a modern shooter with real weapons and human targets. It's just really unrealistic.

Non-realistic military shooters:
- Counter-Strike series

Realistic WWII Shooters:
- Day of Defeat series

Actually, though DOD has a lot of realistic aspects, it's really no different than counter strike. You can still run and gun double back flip and get a headshot with your sweet crosshairs.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Scooby Doo
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
There are already plenty of modern FPS. I want more old fashioned fantasy games like Hexen and Thief.

Definetely! The last magic fps i can remember playing was wheel of time.

Also how about Rune (although that was a third person)?

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and Oblivion to some extent are FPS type games.