We must save "Family Guy"

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
No huge loss. X-Files was saved

Simpson spin-offs can rot! (this includes PJs!)

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
that is like saying that James Bond Jr. was not a spinoff of the 007 movies!

DarK SagE

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Dude, it's another cartoon, it's like saying south park is a spin off of the Simpsons.

Edit: Maybe u are mistaking "Family Guy" with "Futurama"?

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
FG does nothing for me, so I'll remain moot on the subject.

Good luck.

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
Futurama, although made by the same people as Simpsons, has totally different plot and characters, making it not a spin-off

Perhaps you don't know what a SpinOff is...
The conventional meaning of the word Spinoff, is something that directly is formed as the result of a former something.

In this case the similarity in characters and setting makes Family Guy a spinoff of the Simpsons.

Having the same "writers, artists, and producers" does not induce the conclusion that a show is a spinoff.

DarK SagE

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
The only reason that I mentioned writers, artists, and producers was to show you that Family Guy has no conection to the Simpsons. Also, when I mentioned Futurama I had no intention of implying, nor, did I imply that it is a spin-off of the Simpsons. I simply said that you might have confused it as being a spin-off.

A spin-off is when they take a character from a show and make it into another show. Family guy does not have that nor any conection to Simpsons. It is a cartoon about a disfunctional familly, not a spin off; merely in the same genre as the Simpsons. Do you meen to tell me that every Cop show is a spin off of NYPD blue? Or every sitcom with a similar setting is a spin off of another one?

You sir, are to one that does not know the meaning of a spin-off. Take Frasier for example, that is a spin-off of Cheers.

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
How about the Fat Guy in Family Guy? doesn't he remind you of Homer? and the Daughter of Lisa? and the son of Homer? and the Wife of Marge? and the Hitler-baby of Magee/Mr. Burnes? And the story is shockingly like the Simpsons to be not a spinoff...

All things considered this is strikingly close to being the Simpsons without the high quality animation.

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
This oughta clarify what a spinoff is:

The Jeffersons was a spinoff of All In The Family.

George and Louise Jefferson were characters on All In The Family and their own show was a spinoff

Frasier is a spinoff of Cheers.

Frasier was a character on Cheers but the character, Frasier was spun-off into his own show.

Any questions? :) I got more examples if needed. ;)

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
O.K. "Frasier" is a spinoff of "Cheers". agreed

perhaps I am looking for the word TAKE OFF which would perfectly describe "Family Guy"'s rip of the "Simpson"'s

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Family Guy = spinoff of Simpsons? I don't think so. Spinoff has meant that a character or theme from one series has carried over to a new show. In fact, there was a whole show about a Simpson's Spinoff Spectacular. To call Family Guy a spinoff of the Simpson's is to call the Simpson's a spinoff of the Flintstones and the Flintstones a spinoff of the Honeymooners.

I would hate to see the show go. It has my full support.

Windogg

DarK SagE

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thank you PCAdict. The Frasier/Cheers example I also used. Though FG and Simpsons have similar stories, they are not spin-off's! Many shows have similar stories. Face it buddy, you dont know what the hell you are talking about in this case.

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
FINE I WAS WRONG! FAMILY GUY IS STILL SUCK WHETHER I CALL IT A SPINOFF OR NOT.....

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
sorry that I got the word spinoff and takeoff mistaken.

Use my arguements and replace former with latter and my oppinion still stands...

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Hahah family guy is one of the funniest cartoons ever. IF people just bothered watching it for like an entire episode, they'd see how funny it is.

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
The Family Guy was everything the Simpsons was in its heyday, and then some.

I say can the Simpsons. Last season reminded me of Nolan Ryan's last season, and how it almost wrecked a perfectly good career.

Maybe we can all chip in and help Uncouth get a CLUE.

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
yeah you are right. Simpsons is going downhill. I don't think that Family Guy is going to replace... Needed to be better

;)

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
I agree. The Simpsons is really kinda lame now, compared to its heyday. I watch it on occasion, but it's not as funny anymore. The Family Guy totally cracks me up. I hope it doesn't get sh!tcanned.

Dark SagE, I saw you used Frasier after I made that post. DOH!

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
To be honest with you the last season and a half of X-Files has not been that hot. The last good episode was the one with the "GroundHog Day" Bomb episode with the time loop. Aside from that of late they have been sucking and I do not really watch them... FX has the reruns running and that is a good thing to help pass the time until I die.

:) sorry to smash up Family Guy, I will be more careful of bashing stupid shows in the future...