We live in a simulation, period.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
WHAT THE FUCK AM I READING Know Your Meme Jani Leinonen Ronald McDonald cartoon clown fictional character text comics fiction profession

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
BTW, does anyone know that the earth is ALWAYS getting bigger? Stuff grows on it, dies, becomes dirt, stuff regrows, other stuff dies, becomes dirt.

yea.. that's not how it works.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Funny for when I look at the sides of mountains there seems to be layers, and something pushed them up to the sky. The plates all move and then a earthquake, but not all of it happens on land, and like putting a boat in the ocean, when the many upon many volcanoes erupt under the ocean, and you not putting mass into said ocean? Lava is molten earth, but stuff will die, and regrow right over what had died, and yeah it may not be next year, but just like many other things around here way before us or dinosaurs were put on here, and left layers on ground, and in the north and south poles to prove layers of ice that "built" up, melted, made more of, layered that on top too.

So I am not so sure if we really can get lighter as we get bigger, for if piled dead bodies on dead bodies, to where the dead bodies then made dirt, not as much space as a whole body, but if you keep piling on the bodies over millions of years would you not then have a "mountain" of dirt that used to be dead bodies with layers telling you at this point it was hot af, and stank, then it chilled and made this layer? Then it rained a lot and made all this huge layer?

And if we get bigger, causing more mass, for we are not taking our trash like in Wall-e, and shooting it all into space sending mass out there, and anything ever created on this earth had to been here to make the stuff out of, like how you going to just "make" more natural oil, and yeah synthetic oil is a thing, but even being synthetic it was made out of elements on this earth to do so. So I look in my yard at all my trees, and my .6 acre of land that has grass and weeds growing on it, that get mowed down, or falls off the trees, that will make more dirt, making us bigger.......as we expel that mass somehow not back into the ground making more to grow from it to do it all over again, but drive out of the city and stuff really grows out there for I am not talking about buildings and man made stuff here. I am just saying go out there, for if you get the hell out of the city and go for a drive, hah $4 gal gas where you really gonna go, but if you could there is vast amounts of land out there not doing anything but grow die, make dirt, grow die, make dirt, farmer Joe plants corn, tractor harvests the corn leaving the rest of the plant to become dirt for the next crop to plant and do it over and over again. I have a Farmer behind my house, and every year moving here in 05, I have yet to see him collect his leavings to shoot it all out into space, making space smaller?????

WE are the virus, the Earth has been trying to eradicate ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Try out my life, I literally live in a virtual-reality simulation called a "construct" (ala the Matrix).

It's basically an AI-powered simulation, it nurtures me, but it also keeps me trapped in it.

But it has also become an annoying MITM layer, such that it's hard to know who or what to trust.

Edit: Or it could all just be a side-effect of my paranoid delusional schitzo, and losing touch with reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Funny for when I look at the sides of mountains there seems to be layers, and something pushed them up to the sky. The plates all move and then a earthquake, but not all of it happens on land, and like putting a boat in the ocean, when the many upon many volcanoes erupt under the ocean, and you not putting mass into said ocean? Lava is molten earth, but stuff will die, and regrow right over what had died, and yeah it may not be next year, but just like many other things around here way before us or dinosaurs were put on here, and left layers on ground, and in the north and south poles to prove layers of ice that "built" up, melted, made more of, layered that on top too.

So I am not so sure if we really can get lighter as we get bigger, for if piled dead bodies on dead bodies, to where the dead bodies then made dirt, not as much space as a whole body, but if you keep piling on the bodies over millions of years would you not then have a "mountain" of dirt that used to be dead bodies with layers telling you at this point it was hot af, and stank, then it chilled and made this layer? Then it rained a lot and made all this huge layer?

And if we get bigger, causing more mass, for we are not taking our trash like in Wall-e, and shooting it all into space sending mass out there, and anything ever created on this earth had to been here to make the stuff out of, like how you going to just "make" more natural oil, and yeah synthetic oil is a thing, but even being synthetic it was made out of elements on this earth to do so. So I look in my yard at all my trees, and my .6 acre of land that has grass and weeds growing on it, that get mowed down, or falls off the trees, that will make more dirt, making us bigger.......as we expel that mass somehow not back into the ground making more to grow from it to do it all over again, but drive out of the city and stuff really grows out there for I am not talking about buildings and man made stuff here. I am just saying go out there, for if you get the hell out of the city and go for a drive, hah $4 gal gas where you really gonna go, but if you could there is vast amounts of land out there not doing anything but grow die, make dirt, grow die, make dirt, farmer Joe plants corn, tractor harvests the corn leaving the rest of the plant to become dirt for the next crop to plant and do it over and over again. I have a Farmer behind my house, and every year moving here in 05, I have yet to see him collect his leavings to shoot it all out into space, making space smaller?????

WE are the virus, the Earth has been trying to eradicate ;)
We aren't making the earth bigger. As already mentioned matter gets rearranged. We aren't creating new matter out of nothing. The only way our planet gains matter is objects from space landing, like meteorites. I am guessing we send more matter into space than lands here, but someone else would have to confirm that.

As for living in a simulation:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
i see quotes for total mass launched between 14 and 20 million kg. but it does not include a lot of military stuff, so its probably much higher.
I anticipated this reply. launched is the operative word. A great deal of that which is launched, returns to earth at some point. SpaceX rockets, and the orbiter/shuttle program, to name just two, launch a lot of mass, but it then returns. What will not return, is a vastly smaller number.

Meanwhile cosmic dust alone, not including other sources, amounts to 10.4 million pounds every year.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I anticipated this reply. launched is the operative word. A great deal of that which is launched, returns to earth at some point. SpaceX rockets, and the orbiter/shuttle program, to name just two, launch a lot of mass, but it then returns. What will not return, is a vastly smaller number.

Meanwhile cosmic dust alone, not including other sources, amounts to 10.4 million pounds every year.
This, very little that we launch doesn't return back, or won't return back soon (geologically). All launch vehicles, and 99% of orbital vehicles will end up back on our planet within 100 years of launch (most much sooner). Add in space dust and actual meteoroid impacts and we gain far more mass than we lose.

The only exception I can imagine would be something complicated like the mass lost of hydrogen/helium, presuming we spent some inordinate amount of time cracking compounds like h2o apart for whatever reason. We 'lose' hydrogen/helium from the upper layers of our atmosphere thanks to solar winds. That's not very much though.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Earth is massive. Little things happening here have little effect on its orbit. I studied Newtonian physics (was super good at it). Relativity explains the shortcomings of that but it works for most things anyway.