We just got to witness an amazing event.

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
Scientists were able to able to use math, observation, and some fancy degrees to predict the exact time and path of the eclipse. Hundreds of thousands of families traveled for hours, even days, to be directly in the path of the solar eclipse. Little paper glasses sold out in anticipation, and more than half the nation ground to a halt as they ran outside to watch the event.

No one questioned the science behind it. Anyone who did was quickly dismissed.

Yet...

The scientific community is being questioned about their findings on how the climate has been impacted by humans.

We should not only listen to science when it makes a good Instagram story.

solar-eclipse_1024.jpg

Last edited:

kirbyrj

Aug 5, 2017
Climate change is in no way anywhere near an exact a science as the movement of celestial bodies. Just throwing the term "science" out there to act like they are the same is ridiculous. Humans have been predicting the movements of constellations and planets in the sky for thousands of years. You can't tell me if driving an SUV, overactive volcanoes, or solar activity is really the cause of warming. You can't tell me what the temperature of the ocean was 1000 years ago, but you could predict the position of the stars 1000 years ago without much effort. Climate change is the worst kind of science. It is political and funding comes from political sources.

Last edited:

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
I was in Pennsylvania and New York state today didn't see a damn thing. It didn't get dark, not even for a second. Such nonsense.,

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Climate change is in no way anywhere near an exact a science as the movement of celestial bodies. Just throwing the term "science" out there to act like they are the same is ridiculous. Humans have been predicting the movements of constellations and planets in the sky for thousands of years. You can't tell me if driving an SUV, overactive volcanoes, or solar activity is really the cause of warming. You can't tell me what the temperature of the ocean was 1000 years ago, but you could predict the position of the stars 1000 years ago without much effort. Climate change is the worst kind of science. It is political and funding comes from political sources.

Only for those that don't understand science.

Reactions: MrDudeMan

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003

Flat Earthers can make a pretty good sounding (to idiots) argument that the earth is flat. Holocaust deniers can do the same..... as can people who believe in a lot of other things like Water Diviners, etc.

I guess you're one of our newest idiots.

We don't know exactly how large our contribution is, but every bit of data says we're a contributor. But by all means - let's all just ignore it because why the fuck not, right?

Reactions: MrDudeMan

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005

This is true. The two areas of study do not overlap, and one hasn't been around very long in comparison to the other. All you really need is a decent telescope, an understanding of geometry and algebra, and a few sheets of paper to figure out the movements of moons and planets within a decent margin of error.

That being said. Once upon a time, we used to call climate change something else: Pollution.

At first, people ignored the small group of scientists that started to voice concerns over what was happening. Then more scientists came to the same conclusion, and finally, people realized we were making ourselves sick with what we were putting in the air. We were clogging our lungs with soot and poising our bodies with the toxins. Lifespans went down, developmental issues skyrocketed, and people started to realize something was wrong. The US and other countries did a decent job reacting to the issues because they were affecting our daily lives.

I've worked in places where the locals don't understand what a carcinogen is, and they won't bother listening to you if you try to explain it. They will burn things like old car batteries to keep warm because that's one more hour their family doesn't freeze to death. Some days the air got so bad it would sting the back of your throat, and all you could do was put a dust mask on and hope for the best. Every year that goes by I wonder when I'll get a cough that doesn't go away and end up looking at the worried face of my doctor after getting the results of an x-ray.

So yes, I can't "prove" driving an SUV is causing global warming at a greater rate than other natural causes; much like it would be difficult for you to disprove it. However, as we grow to understand the things around us, we learn that we are not as in control as we once thought. Sadly, it's usually after we've witnessed the damage that we realize what was happening. We've damaged our own bodies in the past from pollution, why is it so hard to believe we may have started to damage the earth itself?

Last edited:

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I saw a BMW use blinkers once. I did not even know those cars HAD blinkers!

That's because the OE BMW blinker fluid is too costly to refill.

It was pretty damn cool to witness it. The sky going dim and temperature drop as the moon covered the sun.

I'm surprised there wasn't some threat of volcanoes erupting, tsunami-sized tidal waves, glaciers shifting, or sand storms forming over the deserts. You know, like the movies, which are never exaggerated.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Scientists were able to able to use math, observation, and some fancy degrees to predict the exact time and path of the eclipse. Hundreds of thousands of families traveled for hours, even days, to be directly in the path of the solar eclipse. Little paper glasses sold out in anticipation, and more than half the nation ground to a halt as they ran outside to watch the event.

No one questioned the science behind it. Anyone who did was quickly dismissed.

Yet...

The scientific community is being questioned about their findings on how the climate has been impacted by humans.

We should not only listen to science when it makes a good Instagram story.

Questioning the scientific community is science.

Reactions: Linflas and Pick2

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Well actually I can tell you what percentage of warming comes from driving SUVs and greenhouse gasses using physics (basically all of it since the 1950s). Whether you understand it or believe it is really more about you than the scienctists or their funding.

Seriously though, denying well supported physics because your favorite politician does doesn't make one make one smart.

kirbyrj

Aug 5, 2017
Flat Earthers can make a pretty good sounding (to idiots) argument that the earth is flat. Holocaust deniers can do the same..... as can people who believe in a lot of other things like Water Diviners, etc.

I guess you're one of our newest idiots.

We don't know exactly how large our contribution is, but every bit of data says we're a contributor. But by all means - let's all just ignore it because why the fuck not, right?

Seriously? I'm an "idiot" because I note the difference between the movement of celestial bodies and climate change. You yourself noted that "we don't know exactly how large our contribution is." But I'm the idiot?

kirbyrj

Aug 5, 2017
Well actually I can tell you what percentage of warming comes from driving SUVs and greenhouse gasses using physics (basically all of it since the 1950s). Whether you understand it or believe it is really more about you than the scienctists or their funding.

Seriously though, denying well supported physics because your favorite politician does doesn't make one make one smart.

My point is that you don't have data to support what the temperatures were 100 years ago, 200 years ago, 1000 years ago. You have plenty of data to support where the stars were 1000 years ago.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
My point is that you don't have data to support what the temperatures were 100 years ago, 200 years ago, 1000 years ago. You have plenty of data to support where the stars were 1000 years ago.

One, I don't need data from thousands of years of ago to prove what's happening now.

Two, we have tons of data from thousands of years ago that you either aren't aware of or are ignoring.

So my point is your argument against mainstream climate science holds no water.

Nov 8, 2012
Hey broceritops, want to stop quoting stupid Facebook share posts and infesting my ATOT? If I want to read about stupid shit I would be on social media.

20933960_2027932000771526_6576152772661253395_o.jpg

20933960_2027932000771526_6576152772661253395_o.jpg

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Russian memebots taking over the conversation, sowing discord and strife among the population of ATOT. Please take this garbage to P&N.