We Had Freezing Rain Last Night

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
It started shortly after 9:30PM Saturday. On the walk home I slipped on the icy sidewalk and hurt my right arm just below the shoulder when I fell.

:(

That plus the time change is making my day difficult. I am taking it easy today and will probably watch some movies.

Reactions: footballrunner800

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
We had rain, sleet/freezing rain, then snow. Have to go shovel to see how bad everything is. Almost 5 inches of snow, hope the is no ice under it. Snow stuck to the branches and the trees are quite beautiful. At least no bitter cold to follow. Not as bad as the early predictions of up to a foot of snow.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
We had plain old rain, and I've got standing water in yard again. My back was cramping last night from swinging a chainsaw in addition to the usual calve cramps I get most nights. Kinda warm out(50°), but I just lit a fire to take the chill off. Drinking Dalmore, and still debating on a PizzaHut pizza due to the pizza thread here.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
We had plain old rain, and I've got standing water in yard again. My back was cramping last night from swinging a chainsaw in addition to the usual calve cramps I get most nights. Kinda warm out(50°), but I just lit a fire to take the chill off. Drinking Dalmore, and still debating on a PizzaHut pizza due to the pizza thread here.

Magnesium helps the charlie horses only gotten them a couple times since I started taking magnesium every day.

Reactions: lxskllr

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
It started shortly after 9:30PM Saturday. On the walk home I slipped on the icy sidewalk and hurt my right arm just below the shoulder when I fell.

:(

That plus the time change is making my day difficult. I am taking it easy today and will probably watch some movies.
Time to move to FL or GA, boomer. ;)

Reactions: Iron Woode

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Nasty. We've gotten lucky so far this year, only had some once. Suppose to rain here in a few days though, that's going to be one hell of a mess. Not looking forward to that at all.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Sorry to hear about the fall. We must have gotten lucky here then since it was just rain. If it had been freezing rain that would have made the 30min drive home at midnight...interesting

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I have some leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes. :)

The arm still hurts but not too bad.

May 13, 2009
Usual calf cramps? Just curious why.

I like pizza hut just not more than this local place that makes great pizza.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

Dunno. Happened when winter started. Might be my winter boots. They're stiffer than my warm weather boots, but nothing feels unusual when I'm wearing them. Skull mentioned magnesium, and looking up what foods contain it, I have a pretty good dietary representation. I'll wake up in the night, stretch a little, then HOLY FUCK!!! toss the cat off, and get out of bed to put pressure on my feet, and de knot my calf.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Dunno. Happened when winter started. Might be my winter boots. They're stiffer than my warm weather boots, but nothing feels unusual when I'm wearing them. Skull mentioned magnesium, and looking up what foods contain it, I have a pretty good dietary representation. I'll wake up in the night, stretch a little, then HOLY FUCK!!! toss the cat off, and get out of bed to put pressure on my feet, and de knot my calf.
I get that every now and then. Not sure what causes it but yeah, it's not fun waking up to that pain. Take a look at your calf muscle when it happens.:eek:

It hurts for hours after that.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I sometimes get foot cramps, usually when water is involved, like my first time going into the lake for the summer, I'll get these nasty cramps, and the toes want to bend the wrong way. Also get it after a work out in the shower sometimes. Super painful.

I was looking at my foot while it was happening and it was the most messed up thing, it's like it was being crushed in an invisible vice.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
The other main electrolytes are sodium (which nearly everyone in the USA gets too much of), calcium, and potassium. All of them are balanced against water. Calf cramps are usually caused by too little or too much of one or several of these.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

I just read that drinking vinegar can reduce potassium, and I've been doing that regularly for the past 1+ years. Maybe a connection? I had seen Fire Cider for sale at wegmans, and going with my food policy of "If it interests you, buy it, cost be damned", I got some. I enjoy my morning shot of vinegar. I don't necessarily buy the health claims, but I like the bold flavor, and it's more socially acceptable than a shot of bacardi 151 before work :^D

Anyway, I got some other "medical" vinegar at biglots yesterday. Tastes good, but no sweetness(It gets your attention when drinking!), and it was CHEAP. It also said to refrigerate after opening. Refrigerating vinegar was new to me, so I looked it up. I think it was in an overabundance of caution, so I won't be refrigerating, but that led me to links that said it can reduce potassium. I only drink ~1oz/day, but maybe that's the reason I get cramps?

https://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar-and-your-health

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
We had thunderstorms yesterday and today. It didn’t freeze though it’s like 85 outside

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
We've had a snowfall/freezing rain warning for a few days now, but so far nothing.

A lot of our snow has melted in the past month or so. The roads are actually down to the pavement now and the snow is actually mostly gone from roofs. Just a bit left in some spots. Still too early to call off winter though, I'm sure we have a couple more snow falls left.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
We are just getting rain later tonight and Monday.

Maple syrup season has officially ended this weekend in our area. Producers say it will be one of the biggest in years.

Reactions: Zeze