We are not equal - just different.

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
burnedout's topic about Boston ordered to hire white firefighters. Got me thinking about this report I saw a while back by John Stossel called Boys and Girls are Different

In it they discus how men are suited for some jobs better than women (usually all physical jobs - firefighter, laborer, carpenter, or analytical jobs - scientist, computer geek, accountant, ect..)

And women were better at other jobs (communicating - politician, nurse, astronaut, teacher, customer service, ect...)

So how would accepting (or not) these diffenences effect things like Womens Rights , ERA , hiring quotas , affirmative action, ......

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: LeadMagnet
burnedout's topic about Boston ordered to hire white firefighters. Got me thinking about this report I saw a while back by John Stossel called Boys and Girls are Different

In it they discus how men are suited for some jobs better than women (usually all physical jobs - firefighter, laborer, carpenter, or analytical jobs - scientist, computer geek, accountant, ect..)

And women were better at other jobs (communicating - politician, nurse, astronaut, teacher, customer service, ect...)

So how would accepting (or not) these diffenences effect things like Womens Rights , ERA , hiring quotas , affirmative action, ......

women are good at programming - it's just like following a recipe

(j/k)

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
Originally posted by: LeadMagnet

try and tell NOW. You will realize what common sense is up against in this world

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
That's why equal rights is a load of crap (between the sexes, the racial differences are less of an issue, except maybe asians, because I believe on average they are shorter, so might be less suited to some jobs, and more suited to others where height may be an issue, same as blacks seem taller (basketball players), so they would have the opposite thing, I'm not trying to be racist in that, just (hopefully) accurate)

But you can't give a man and a woman the same consideration for some jobs because one is fairly certainly going to be more suited than the other.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
The characterization has zero utility b/c variability within groups is often greater than variability between groups. Ultimately it is the characteristics of a particular individual that matter. If a person can do the job and wants the job they should receive equal consideration. We are equal . . . equally unique . . . hence group identity robs every person of what truly makes them important.

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
The characterization has zero utility b/c variability within groups is often greater than variability between groups. Ultimately it is the characteristics of a particular individual that matter. If a person can do the job and wants the job they should receive equal consideration. We are equal . . . equally unique . . . hence group identity robs every person of what truly makes them important.

absolutely right, thats why they shouldnt force employers to favor one group over another a la Boston FD

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
The characterization has zero utility b/c variability within groups is often greater than variability between groups.

If we are able to 'group' something, would this not mean there are similarities, or like characteristics, that enable us to 'group' them in the first place?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I think a better thread title would be "We are Equal - but Different"