We are finally getting History Of The World Part 2.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Not only was Dune finally made correctly but we are getting what we hoped for after 40 years.

Mel Brooks is about 90 but still wants to make this happen. (Spaceballs was supposed to be Jews In Space but mostly it was just a Star Wars spoof)

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Excuse me while I whip this out! ("bystanders gasp, and avert their eyes")

Going to subscribe to Hulu for this one. Mel Brooks movies have been a guilty pleasure since I was young. People can't seem to laugh anymore, and maybe this will spark some change?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I did watch Young Frankenstein and Dracula: Dead and Loving It. Good stuff.

One of those guys you're shocked he's still alive.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I hope I am wrong but the way these things go, I am reminded of the scene in part I about "With the invention of art, came the inevitable art critic"....

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Wait what? You have never seen blazing saddles?
I'm the type of guy who rarely ventures out but if something catches my eye, I "obsessively" take it in and introspectively "digest" the material until satisfied and then I go into dormancy for years. Also didn't have a lot of money to just buy movies.
I mean, I loved Bach but I haven't listened to his music in over 5, maybe ten years.

A lot of the media I like happen by circumstance. I came across Office Space through a psychology of the workplace class. The song Eminence Front...from the those GMC commercials.

My sister is by far a greater movie hunter and more than willing to pirate her way to watching the media she wanted. She checked out Young Frankenstein from the library.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Office Space was fantastic, I hope you didnt wait too long to see it.

Blazing Saddles is probably Mel Brooks very best film up to now. You really need to go track it down.
(its pretty racist by todays standards, but in the 70's it went over fairly well)

Reactions: Captante and Pohemi

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Blazing Saddles is probably Mel Brooks very best film up to now. You really need to go track it down.
(its pretty racist by todays standards, but in the 70's it went over fairly well)
I was in my early 20s when I watched Office Space. Both entertaining and intellectually edifying for the assignment I had to do in that class.

I'm not particularly sensitive to racism. I do not have the taboo reflex that would send me into an emotional tizzy. Library does have it, but I have to clear a bit a stuff out to make time for movie watching.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'm the type of guy who rarely ventures out but if something catches my eye, I "obsessively" take it in and introspectively "digest" the material until satisfied and then I go into dormancy for years. Also didn't have a lot of money to just buy movies.
I mean, I loved Bach but I haven't listened to his music in over 5, maybe ten years.

A lot of the media I like happen by circumstance. I came across Office Space through a psychology of the workplace class. The song Eminence Front...from the those GMC commercials.

My sister is by far a greater movie hunter and more than willing to pirate her way to watching the media she wanted. She checked out Young Frankenstein from the library.

You can probably borrow Blazing Saddles from your local librabry.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

The characters of the town were racist and the movie featured the "N" word, but the reason the movie was so genius is because the Sheriff was the smartest character in the movie. Having Gene Wilder on there was great too because he was validation that the rest of the people were trash and he supported the Sheriff. I'm glad he and Mel Brooks had that relationship with Wilder.

Remember, the 70s were progressive in Hollywood and Gene Wilder was to costar alongside Richard Pryor in Blazing Saddles, but Pryor showed up to the script reading high and ended up losing his spot. He ended up only getting a screenwriter credit for Blazing Saddles. It wasn't until Silver Streak they got to act together in 1976...then the 80s they were in 3 more movies together.

I'm kind of glad Pryor didn't get the role just because I like the character of Bart so much...exactly as it was played by Cleavon Little.

Reactions: dank69 and Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like they got a pretty star-studded cast for the new one. I'm looking forward to it...think I need to re-watch the original too in the meantime. It's been decades, I think.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Dune was bleh and doesn’t invite the repeat viewings of the Lynch version. Somewhere between the Lynch version and the Villeneuve version is the definitive version.