We all know Florida's problems... but what's Oregon's excuse?

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
Come on... it's two days after the election and they still haven't announced a winner? CNN.com shows bush leading 48% to 46% in the state (over 30,000 votes ahead), but no winner declared.

What's the holdup?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
We have a worker shortage, all the snowbirds are in Florida.;)

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
I think we are using Windows-based PCs to count the ballots, and "BSOD Jones" got 65,536 votes...

Midnight Rambler

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
They vote by mail, and it allows for several days beyond the actual election date for the ballots to all get in. Blame the Postal Service at this point ... ;)

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Actually, our ballots had to be postmarked several days before the election, and they were supposed to all be there on election day. So something's wrong, because they are counting them up REALLY slowly.

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
On CBS they just reported due to the mail-in factor, they might not have a total for Oregon until ~Thanksgiving :Q

Superwombat

Mar 11, 2000
hm? It's Washington that allows all ballots postmarked on election day to be counted. Oregon does it's ballot just like any other state. I guess you would just have to conclude that the vote counters are inept. This makes sense anyway, since all of the stupid ballot measures passed :p

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
:confused: Superwombat, the election here was vote-by-mail only... no other state did that. And not ALL of the stupid ballot measures passed. :)

OldSailor

Jul 25, 2000
I think they voted it legal to smoke dope here this year. Once that measure passed, the vote counting kinda slowed down some. What is your big hurry dudes? We'll get it done soon as the munchies get here...

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Here's how the Oregon system works:

1) All elections are vote by mail only

2) All ballots that were to be mailed had to be postmarked 5 days early or so(I don't have the exact date), so that the USPS could get them to county elections in time

3) Anything past that date had to be manually droped off at county elections, or special drop off sites

OldSailor, the mesure you're thinking of passed 2 years ago, it allows strict medical use of marijuanna(sp?)

As for our counting problems, I still blame the snowbirds. Most election workers are seniors who volunteer; and right now, we don't have a lot of seniors around.;)

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
FFMCobalt, not all of us are morons. We smart ones voted for Nader.;)