WDTV Help

Twitch03

Feb 15, 2015
Having a problem with my WDBHG70000NBK playing files from my NAS. It will pause and buffer, then play in fast forward until it catches up to where it should have been, every three-five minutes. I have never had this problem playing files from the USB slot (it can even be the same exact file).

Both the WDTV and NAS are hooked up through CAT 5e to my router. I can play files on my iMac just fine with the same connection as the WDTV. These are full BR Rips from MakeMKV with the lossless audio track (DTS HD/True HD).

What could be causing this issue? Files play fine from a flash drive, files play fine with above setup on my iMac, but they wont play properly on the WDTV

Any help would be appreciated.

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
If I had to guess, I believe you are using Windows file sharing which is not fast enough for higher quality files. I had the same issue with my WDTV devices until I loaded media server software on my NAS. The problem didn't occur until I started trying to stream Blu-ray rips.
- Regular DVD rips played fine via Windows file sharing
- BR rips, or high quality mkv files from BR rips, require something more efficient - try loading a DLNA media server app on your NAS and connect to it via the media server option in your WDTV

Twitch03

Feb 15, 2015
If I had to guess, I believe you are using Windows file sharing which is not fast enough for higher quality files. I had the same issue with my WDTV devices until I loaded media server software on my NAS. The problem didn't occur until I started trying to stream Blu-ray rips.
- Regular DVD rips played fine via Windows file sharing
- BR rips, or high quality mkv files from BR rips, require something more efficient - try loading a DLNA media server app on your NAS and connect to it via the media server option in your WDTV

That seems to have worked, thanks a lot.

From what I have read though you cant use forced subtitles with DLNA, is that accurate?

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
There's a fair bit you can't do with DLNA that you can with the files directly, things like special features, etc. It's one reason why I convert my BR's into a single mkv that works the way I want it. For regular DVD's I just rip the entire disc and get all the features since that results in 7Gigs or so (or less) and use the network file access for them. For BR rips, I use the media server; so I switch between the 2 depending on what I'm watching.

If it's from BR's and you want subtitles, or the other features, you'd have to build that into the mkv file and get them that way.

Last edited:

Twitch03

Feb 15, 2015
There's a fair bit you can't do with DLNA that you can with the files directly, things like special features, etc. It's one reason why I convert my BR's into a single mkv that works the way I want it. For regular DVD's I just rip the entire disc and get all the features since that results in 7Gigs or so (or less) and use the network file access for them. For BR rips, I use the media server; so I switch between the 2 depending on what I'm watching.

If it's from BR's and you want subtitles, or the other features, you'd have to build that into the mkv file and get them that way.

How would you build them in? I used MakeMKV to rip my library, and select the subtitles I want, but I believe this is a known issue that they dont work. I have also tried MKVtoolnix, but when I hit the subtitle track it will show Track 1 on the top left, but no subtitles will show up.

Thanks again for your help

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
I use DVD Decrypter and then Handbrake to create the mkv. It's been a long time since I've done anything other than "main movie", but I believe you get the options in DVD Decrypter. If not, then I rip everything with DVD Decrypter and use TS Muxer to extract out what I want, then Handbrake. One of those 2, I seem to recall, gives the various video options. You might need to use BDInfo/ClownBD as well. I don't use MakeMKV so can't shed any light there.

Sorry I can't give you the exact step by step - it's been too long/rare that I've ever wanted subtitles.

Twitch03

Feb 15, 2015
I use DVD Decrypter and then Handbrake to create the mkv. It's been a long time since I've done anything other than "main movie", but I believe you get the options in DVD Decrypter. If not, then I rip everything with DVD Decrypter and use TS Muxer to extract out what I want, then Handbrake. One of those 2, I seem to recall, gives the various video options. You might need to use BDInfo/ClownBD as well. I don't use MakeMKV so can't shed any light there.

Sorry I can't give you the exact step by step - it's been too long/rare that I've ever wanted subtitles.

Not a problem, thanks for the other help though. I just want the forced subs for the non english portions of movies. I will just have to play around with it to see what I can get working.

Twitch03

Feb 15, 2015
Well it seems like I was maybe a bit premature on that solution, made it a little over an hour into a movie and it started buffering again.

Any other suggestions? Would/could the router be the problem?