WD VelociRaptor 300GB 10K Hard Drive...$69.99 w/free ship!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Damn, i couldn't even resist my own thread. Just bought one......even though i have no idea why. Still have a new sealed SSD i haven't even used. :)

skillyho

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2005
Damn, i couldn't even resist my own thread** Just bought one************even though i have no idea why** Still have a new sealed SSD i haven't even used** :)

It's a disease, isn't it?

OK SO I'm guessing ***mas and period somehow got broken on the forum** :eek:

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Not bad, but last week's 600GB for $99 was a better deal. Not only was it cheaper /GB, but it uses higher density platters for higher performance. Still, super cheap for a Velociraptor. I'm still holding off on getting a 1TB version for cheap.

Actually, I'd love to get one of the enterprise versions sans the heatsink. Would rather not void the 5 year warranty.

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
Not bad, but last week's 600GB for $99 was a better deal. Not only was it cheaper /GB, but it uses higher density platters for higher performance.

The two drives use the same platters. The 600 uses 2 platters, the 300 uses 1.5 platters. The 600 was a better deal based on price/capacity, but if you didn't need 600GB, then this is the better deal as you get the same performance for less.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
The two drives use the same platters. The 600 uses 2 platters, the 300 uses 1.5 platters. The 600 was a better deal based on price/capacity, but if you didn't need 600GB, then this is the better deal as you get the same performance for less.

I'm going to be giving the one i bought to my parents to upgrade their pc performance. They have an old slow 250GB Sata hard drive and this will make a very nice increase in performance for cheap.

I would have given them an SSD but my mom stores too many pictures on it to get a cheap 120GB SSD.

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
If the drive is going to be used to store things that are not replaceable (your mom's pictures), you are far FAR better off buying her a Raptor than any SSD.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
If the drive is going to be used to store things that are not replaceable (your mom's pictures), you are far FAR better off buying her a Raptor than any SSD.

Thanks, i kinda figured that. And after i clone the old drive to this new Raptor, i'll put the old drive away as a backup. :)

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I'm going to be giving the one i bought to my parents to upgrade their pc performance. They have an old slow 250GB Sata hard drive and this will make a very nice increase in performance for cheap.

I would have given them an SSD but my mom stores too many pictures on it to get a cheap 120GB SSD.

Only problem is your mom is going to think you stuffed her cat into the computer with all the screaming noises that are coming out of it. D:

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Only problem is your mom is going to think you stuffed her cat into the computer with all the screaming noises that are coming out of it. D:

LOL, well since she has no cats, this will give her that 'have-a-cat' like feeling :p

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Have a friend who had a hardwood floor, he had put a pair of raptors in his PC and the thing literally vibrated around the room, leashed back by the cords. It really was a ROFLMAO moment. It had hard plastic feet that lit up, so we stuck some stuff under it to keep it from walking off.

Whats really creepy, is that I'm currently living in his moms basement...it's more like a studio apartment that I'm renting, but still.

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
Not sure if EliteRetard is trying to be funny or what he is talking about. At idle, Raptors are as quiet as a 7200RPM drive and are inaudible over typical ambient noise (PSU/CPU fans, etc).

The vibration anecdote is just stupid. I have never seen a drive, and I have owned multiple 15k rpm and old school SCSI 10k drives, that would move themselves when placed on a hard surface, let alone move a case it was installed in. A desktop hard drive will not function at all if it was vibrated hard enough to move a case.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Not sure if EliteRetard is trying to be funny or what he is talking about. At idle, Raptors are as quiet as a 7200RPM drive and are inaudible over typical ambient noise (PSU/CPU fans, etc).

The vibration anecdote is just stupid. I have never seen a drive, and I have owned multiple 15k rpm and old school SCSI 10k drives, that would move themselves when placed on a hard surface, let alone move a case it was installed in. A desktop hard drive will not function at all if it was vibrated hard enough to move a case.

Cat noises were a joke, yes.

Just did a quick youtube and this was on the front page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1KdOpV7r_k

You might not have ever seen a HDD vibrate, but I know for certain that they do.
And what I'm talking about isn't a violent thrashing like a washing machine gone mad...just a constant vibration/rattle (perhaps like a phone vibration?) that was enough to cause the case feet to loose friction and drift kinda like a puck on an air hockey table. It didn't move very fast, but it was visible...

I know of a few other examples of computers/laptops vibrating like this, but only once was the combination of things right to where I saw it move like that. That's what made it so funny.

Edit: Here's another video of HDD vibration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LRkn9ItsNk

And these are just 7200RPM (Seagate) drives, he had 2 3.5" WD 10K drives hard mounted in a custom case....and they definitely caused vibration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.