Question WD SN810 vs Toshiba Kioxia KXG70PN84T094TB

Super Spartan

Aug 1, 2020
So I have a WD SN810 1TB SSD that I bought earlier.

Here is its benchmark:

WD SN810 1TB SSD.png

Now I have an Alienware m15 R7 laptop that is on the way. It comes with a 4TB Toshiba Kioxia KXG70PN84T094TB in slot 1 and slot 2 is empty.

Here is its benchmark:

Toshiba KIOXIA KG70PN84T09 4TB SSD.png

Those results seem way lower than the WD SN810.

It is a good idea to clone the main OS to the WD SN810 and set the 4TB SSD as storage?

Or keep the main SSD and add my other 4TB Sabrent Q PCIe 3 SSD for more storage (8TB Total)?

I only use around 3TB of data so storage is not a problem.

I am just surprised how the Toshiba Kioxia KXG70PN84T094TB which is claimed to be an enterprise-level SSD has half the performance of the WD SN810

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I have a similar issue w/ dual NVME's and using a 3rd on my server.

I have 2 SN850's and a CS3030. I originally had the SN850's in the server as a primary / backup using rsync to keep them up to date. I moved the rsync destination to a folder on the Raid instead and yanked the SN850 to use as a primary in the new laptop Gen4 slot and pulled the CS3030 from the prior laptop to put into the Gen3 slot.

If boot / loading is primary then move the OS or do a fresh install onto the SN810 and delete the partition on the Sabrent to reclaim the space for storage. If you want to clone it over then pick your poison to do so using clonezilla worked for me until I scrapped the cloning for a fresh install and then copied over the user / program files / appdata folders to the new install and patched things as needed.

I think my issue was cloning w/ both drives internal to the laptop instead of using the enclosure to go from G3 to G4 and then format the drive or delete the windows partitions. Laptop was using the UEFI in the G3 drive when installing windows on the G4 which was in the primary slot. There were some other minor issues like the trackpad not working 100% and having issues clicking on things which might have been driver carry over from the G3 system.

It's kind of a PITA either way when you have a plan that seems simple and straight forward and turns out to be a CF after you boot into it. I just grabbed a clean ISO of W11 with all of the updates preinstalled and ran with it. Minimal updates post install / drivers / etc.

Super Spartan

Aug 1, 2020
I have a similar issue w/ dual NVME's and using a 3rd on my server.

I have 2 SN850's and a CS3030. I originally had the SN850's in the server as a primary / backup using rsync to keep them up to date. I moved the rsync destination to a folder on the Raid instead and yanked the SN850 to use as a primary in the new laptop Gen4 slot and pulled the CS3030 from the prior laptop to put into the Gen3 slot.

If boot / loading is primary then move the OS or do a fresh install onto the SN810 and delete the partition on the Sabrent to reclaim the space for storage. If you want to clone it over then pick your poison to do so using clonezilla worked for me until I scrapped the cloning for a fresh install and then copied over the user / program files / appdata folders to the new install and patched things as needed.

I think my issue was cloning w/ both drives internal to the laptop instead of using the enclosure to go from G3 to G4 and then format the drive or delete the windows partitions. Laptop was using the UEFI in the G3 drive when installing windows on the G4 which was in the primary slot. There were some other minor issues like the trackpad not working 100% and having issues clicking on things which might have been driver carry over from the G3 system.

It's kind of a PITA either way when you have a plan that seems simple and straight forward and turns out to be a CF after you boot into it. I just grabbed a clean ISO of W11 with all of the updates preinstalled and ran with it. Minimal updates post install / drivers / etc.
Oh I have no issues with cloning, Macrium Reflect 8 now supports proper cloning to dissimilar SSDs/partition sizes as it would automatically resize the partitions to make them fit perfectly. My question is I guess was more of wanting to get an opinion but I guess you're right I have to decide whether to keep the main SSD and average performance then add another 4TB fora total of 8TB or use the faster SN810 as the main drive and keep the main drive as the storage drive for large videos and whatnot. That WD SN810 is a beast of an SSD

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
The SN series proves to be formidable to others trying to keep up. I tried a couple of different options and then landed on the 850's. Plenty of competition but it comes down to the controllers / memory chips. IIRC the Sabrent uses the Phison controller similar to my CS3030 / BPX Pro drives I'm using. I tried the PNY Gen4 version one step up from the CS3030 and it seemed to exhaust the cache and then slow down.

D<>D is easier than playing with P<>P when cloning but, 1TB <> 1TB wasn't the issue I was having mentioned above. One thing I noticed while fighting with it is the GPT / UUID were direct copies during cloning which probably played into the issues on top of the clone.

Resizing during a clone isn't that big of an issue. I even put Linux on it and created a 50MB UEFI partition in hopes to save some space and then add Windows to it. It still was acting up in Windows / boot for whatever reason.

When you get above 2TB on the NVME side they tend to cut the speeds back down to Gen3 for some reason from what I've been spotting when browsing drives. that Kioxia might be a one off in the field though. At this point the next bump to Gen5 / 14GB/s is where I'm focusing. Then it's the debate to rebuild with a native G5 slot or just add a card to put the drive in w/ active cooling.

I wish prices would come down below $100/TB though.

Reactions: Super Spartan