WD Black seen in bios but not in Win 7

blkskull

Jun 28, 2016
I moved all my components to a new case and when I booted the system I couldn't see the second HDD a 640GB Black drive. I rebooted and checked the bios and the drive shows up there. I rebooted to win 7 and looked in the Windows Explorer but the drive was still not showing there. I checked under Computer management/Drive manager and the drive is there but says drive needs to be initialized. This drive has data on it and was working fine previously. If I use a drive recovery/maintenance software like spinrite the drive shows up as a raid 0 but it can't be accessed. This wasn't a raid drive before, Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Feb 25, 2011
Is it plugged into a different port than before? (Possibly one that is set for RAID operation in the bios?)

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Is it plugged into a different port than before? (Possibly one that is set for RAID operation in the bios?)

Yeah, sounds like it's plugged into a port that was/is part of a RAID array. My suggestion would be to unplug the drive, go into the RAID bios, and remove any RAID arrays that you are not currently using, or just plug the drive into a different port.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Did u try the disk partition program in windows? Sometimes u need to go through that to see if Windows can spot it.

blkskull

Jun 28, 2016
Thanks for the responses but I have the drives set to AHCI. Also from what I've read on the MSI forums this motherboard(B75MA-P45) does not have raid.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Board has one SATA III port and five SATA II ports. Make sure the Black isn't in the SATA III port if it wasn't before the move. Let us know either way.

Worst case, do you have storage somewhere to back up the drive and let Windows format it? Or, better yet, is the data on it already backed up somewhere?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Might also want to use crystaldiskinfo to check the SMART attributes of the drive in question.